Composing beginner chamber music (rcm preparatory to grade 1)

Edited: November 20, 2018, 7:27 PM · I've begun writing chamber music for beginner violins for my students who are still in their first method book (or just moved on to the second) I wrote this so everything played can have a 1-23-4 finger pattern, uncomplicated rhythms, and everybody gets an interesting melody.

My teacher suggested I do something with the music like publish it because he wants it, but I want to see if there is interest in the community first:)

I'm currently doing about one every day, so there will be more.

https://soundcloud.com/allan-crazydangertriscuitjigglypuff-nelson/beginner-violin-quartet

Replies (2)

November 20, 2018, 6:15 PM · That seems like a great idea! :-)
November 22, 2018, 4:47 AM · Allan, I listened to all three of your pieces on Soundcloud, and they sound very pleasant. Good on you.

Music has a way of being "tricky" even if the notes are easily reached. I have written quite a few "infinite canons" -- rounds -- for strings in their first three years of playing, and I have been surprised how challenging they can be for the intended musicians, once in rehearsal.

I put this down to under-estimating the musical growth (and the diversity of that growth) that people progress through, while learning their first instrument.

Anyway, keep on writing, and keep your finger on the pulse of the ensembles that play your music, to ensure you pick out the most musical and "readily digestable" composing strategies for your target performers.

Do more, I say.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay