How fast in BPM should I be able to play rhythm exercises

November 19, 2018, 1:26 AM · Hi :)
I have been learning to play violin as adult beginner with literally no musical background since ca. 2 years.
Since couple of months I am learning at home alone based on practice books, etudes, scales, etc. I will be able to attend some classes next year again.
Until then I would like to improve my rhythm sight reading skills which are quite poor to be honest :)
So I have this book Rhythm Bible and I really enjoy it and I find all the tips and exercises progress well planned.
The only thing that bothers me is the fact that according to this book I should be able to play each exercise at 208 BPM before I can move to the next one. For me it seems too hard or even impossible. So my question is: could I practice the exercises aiming at 150 BMP and then moving to the next one. This way I could complete in couple of months the Basic Rhythms chapter. Otherwise I feel like I would stuck at the first page for years ;)
I have searched it online and I have found no answer to the following question: how fast should I be able to play at my level (2 years). I would describe myself as lower-intermediate level student. Could you please share your thoughts? :)

Replies (3)

Edited: November 19, 2018, 5:42 AM ·
The concept of perfecting something first before moving on is flawed, IMO.
Variation is a strength, one exercise often helps the other. If you're doing something poorly you shouldn't move on, but if you are doing something okay or good then moving on is a good thing.

November 19, 2018, 5:22 AM · Follow the school of the legendary David Krakovich and play each exercise at 300 BPM. There is no such thing as too hard! Only too slow.
Edited: November 27, 2018, 9:18 AM · Charles, thank you. :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay