Case Reccomendations

November 16, 2018, 6:46 PM · My friend asked me for case reccomendations for her violin. It’s around 8,000 dollars, I am not sure the real price, and they do not want to spend more than 300-350. I have a Gewa Air Oblong and since that is out of the price range I reccomended Bam cases. She will most likely be using this case throughout college so it should be good and durable. Any reccomendations, or is the price range a little limited?

Replies (25)

November 16, 2018, 7:02 PM · Want to add that she wants it to be preferably a hard exterior.
November 16, 2018, 9:46 PM · At that price range, I'd recommend Bobelock. Many musician on v.com keep their violin, some are much more pricy, in bobelock case.

I'm using a Bobelock wooden halfmoon case since I don't have a lot of music sheets.

Edited: November 16, 2018, 9:59 PM · For the money I have found Bobelock cases to be a really good deal - and durable - I've got two of them-one violin and one viola I also bought one for my granddaughter nearly 20 years ago and it is still in fine shape - even after 4 years at college and multiple moves.

I also have two Musafia cases and I have a no-name double violin/viola case and have had 3 Jaeger cases - one single violin and two double violin )one of which is now 70 years old - bought in Germany in 1947). And prior to 60 years ago I had other shaped cases.

With all that case experience I still recommend BOBELOCK for the money - and Musafia for the soul (and some extra protection)! Bobelock cases come in a number of different styles, so study them carefully to decide which best fits your friends needs.

November 17, 2018, 6:23 AM · I am with those who favor Bobelock cases. If you look through previous threads on cases, you will find many on this site who favor Bobelock. I have used them for years for my violin and viola and fine them quite good for my purposes. BTW, my violin is more or less in the price range of yours.
November 17, 2018, 7:27 AM · My violin case and viola case are Bobelock -- the special version sold by JSI. The case is a tank, super well-made. The inside fittings and fabrics are nothing special but it's a safe, durable case. As I've also said in other similar threads, another quite good case is the Embassy Courier. Note that all these cases have black nylon fabric exteriors, they're not hard-and-smooth. So if you are hoping for a surface to cover with stickers, you'll probably have to get a Bam.
November 17, 2018, 11:01 AM · Bobelock makes a nice fiberglass glass, a little heavy, but at least it's a violin not cello at. Bam is lighter and stronger, a little more stylish.
November 17, 2018, 11:22 AM · The Bobelock fiberglass cases, at least the cello ones I'm most familiar with, tend to have a residual fiberglass resin smell for a very long time. Love the viola case except I wish they would make it a pound or two lighter, pushing 8.5lbs as it is.
November 17, 2018, 2:19 PM · I just recently bought a bobelock half moon wooden case. I love it. My violin is about at that price range.
November 17, 2018, 6:09 PM · Continental by American Case. Only case built Texas Tough.
November 18, 2018, 12:18 AM · I think recommendations for cases should consider location.
Bobelock is rare to find outside USA, and some popular brands like BAM or GEWA become expensive beyond its features outside Europe.
Edited: November 18, 2018, 5:50 AM · Bobelock can be ordered online from several US sellers, and shipped worldwide.
Edited: November 18, 2018, 8:20 AM · I am looking for a new case too, and I would like to have a nice price. I am going just for my lessons and it is mostly violin home "bed" :) I found Tom and Will brand, do you know or have any experience? (I am thinking about Bobelock too but it is hard to find in my country or with reasonable shipping).

http://www.tomandwill.com/productdetail.asp?productid=43VL44%2D640

What do you think about these?

November 18, 2018, 8:36 AM · Bobelock can be ordered online from several US sellers, and shipped worldwide
With shipping costs between 50% and 100% of the price of the case. Not counting TVA and taxes.
Bobelock is a great 250$ case, but not a good deal at 600$.
Similar, in the other direction, happens with the European brands as I see the prices in USA. When the purchase is on a budget this needs to be taken into account.
Edited: November 21, 2018, 7:00 AM · My teacher uses a Hidersine viola case. The only two on Hidersine's website cost $35 and $120.

[edited to remove possible breach of confidence]

Edited: November 18, 2018, 10:10 AM · @Carlos: If someone charges $125-250 for shipment, look elsewhere.

@Andrew: your teacher may one day regret spending so little on a case. It's like not having fire insurance on your house...

Just my friendly advice!

November 18, 2018, 11:44 AM · Carlos D'Agulleiro: exactly, that is why I ask. I am from middle Europe and in my country, there is no option to buy without 40% (and more) fees around. I really tried to find. But Bam is cheaper here. I am really desperate to find some opinions on Tom and Will cases made in UK.
November 18, 2018, 7:00 PM · One case I would recommend against is the bam contoured case, as it has so many design flaws. Clips are not safe and can easily unlatch if they get caught in clothes. Cold air can get in through the side of the case. Can't open the case halfway which can be annoying when the table is full. No string tube either (which I would love for gut strings to protect the winding from bending). You can get so many better cases for cheaper...
November 19, 2018, 12:10 AM · James Dong: and which are they? Looking for recommendations, for the best, which can be bought in Europe :)
Edited: November 20, 2018, 1:37 PM · Honestly, my cheapo Tonareli case does a great job of protecting my violin. It's made of plywood, just like most of the cases being mentioned. It cost me a little over $100 on Ebay (new). If you WANT to pay more, go ahead, but I'm not convinced that the violin will be better protected. :-)
November 19, 2018, 3:02 PM · Now I made deeper research, and I love this case

https://www.thomann.de/cz/dick_procase_violin_44_34_bw.htm

I think it fits my needs at that time, any opinion on this one?

Edited: November 20, 2018, 1:47 AM · It's built out of styrofoam, stay away. I'm sure Thomann offers some wood laminate cases in the lower price range, which are much better.

At the same price, the GEWA Bio is superior (I've lab tested this model so I know what I'm saying) albeit less "luxurious".

November 20, 2018, 8:35 AM · Dimitri Musafia: thanks for the advice! I was thinking about GEWA Bio at first time, but I was scared little bit with so less insulation and absence of huge material around the instrument. But I really trust Your tips.
November 20, 2018, 8:57 AM · I and several of my friends have Gewa Liuteria Maestro/Venetia cases and find them quite robust. They have the storage compartment to the right which keeps the violin out of harms way of the frog in case a bow is not fastened properly. I had mine for more than 10 years and it is still going strong. Only the cover is in need of an exchange - I use a single shoulder strap and the cover is starting to rip where the strap attaches (but I am treating myself to a Musafia Case instead of replacing the cover).
Edited: November 20, 2018, 10:52 AM · @Martin, the GEWA Bio is rather flexible, but it does have a higher clearance over the bridge especially, so the factors even out. I am certainly not a GEWA fan for a number of reasons, but I do try to give objective tips based on my experience and especially research, so in this price range I feel secure with my recommendation.
November 20, 2018, 11:06 AM · @Dimitri, Dimitri thanks for the tips, you made my choice and I will buy this one. Really I was looking on this because of the cool design which I love. And with info You gave me, I am sure that I want this one. Thank You!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay