Custom double viola-violin cases?

Edited: November 16, 2018, 9:58 AM · Has anybody here gotten a custom double violin-viola case made, or know of one that is size-adjustable? I primarily play on a ~17 in viola and it does not fit in the current double case I own, and most double cases I've seen put a size limit of 16.5 in.

Replies (6)

Edited: November 16, 2018, 10:33 AM · Nope, but I want one for my violin and my concert uke.
I've got my eyes on the BAM mainly, but the Hidersine is possible.
I think they both quote 16" for the max viola size.
I'll have to take the uke to a shop to see if it fits, which it probably will.
Edited: November 16, 2018, 1:30 PM · Depending on your budget, you might want to try Riboni cases, made in Cremona and certainly better than the brands mentioned, www.maurizioriboni.it.
November 17, 2018, 2:52 PM · My viola is only 15.75", my violin 14.25", but both are tubby: wide bouts and high ribs. I got a Gewa double case, 5-ply wood, with plenty of headroom (and over 10lbs..), but I had to extensively modify the internal fittings.
November 17, 2018, 4:20 PM · Don’t forget— Musafia will make custom double cases.
November 17, 2018, 4:22 PM · If I were going for a custom case I would consider the Cremonese case makers seriously. You'll pay a little more but if you keep it in good condition they have good resale value, and you'll have no trouble selling it with the viola because I think this is not such an uncommon thing to want.
November 18, 2018, 10:56 PM · I have a Concord double case, which is adjustable from 15" to 17" I believe. However, my violin is pretty tubby as well, and juuust barely fits in the violin slot. I find it odd, since it fits wonderfully in the single case.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay