Do Henle editions have cadenzas?

November 14, 2018, 5:17 PM · I've been instructed to get the Henle edition of a Mozart concerto.

Do these tend to have cadenzas included or will I have to source them elsewhere?

Thank you :)

Replies (7)

November 14, 2018, 5:26 PM · I think they come with cadenzas by Kurt Guntner. You can find Franko and Joachim cadenzas elsewhere though (IMSLP).
November 14, 2018, 8:15 PM · Yes, they do.

I like the Barenreiter urtext editions, though. They include several common cadenzas.

November 15, 2018, 5:55 AM · I agree with Lydia on the Barenreiter editions if you need an urtext. Much easier to read. Also, Henle urtexts tend to be edited, so, while they are urtexts in that they distinguish what is in the original and what the editors added, they tend to seem more encumbered to me. I do not have any of the concerti in that edition, however, so I cannot speak to cadenzas. I would ask your teacher if you can get a Barenreiter instead.
November 15, 2018, 9:27 AM · I don't think you can get both Henle and Barenreiter for most works. Isn't it one or the other? Also, I think that B. comes with two versions, one edited and that is not.
November 15, 2018, 1:29 PM · Scott - I know I have seen Barenreiter versions of Mozart concerti. I do not know if Henle has them.
November 15, 2018, 9:12 PM · The Mozart concertos are available in both Barenreiter and Henle editions. I believe they are different critical editions.
November 16, 2018, 5:24 AM · I agree with Lydia. You can get both. And most Henle editions I have (Mozart not being any), they come with 2 parts. One edited, one "blank" (same as Barenreiter). However, I'm unsure as to multiple cadenzas. For the concerti I do have in H, they provide only one cadenza

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay