Private Music Teacher Maternity Leave

November 12, 2018, 3:39 PM · Hi Everyone! I am a violin teacher and am having my second baby. With my first baby I took off 3 months, but this felt too long. This time I am planning 6 weeks off, can anyone share some advice about how a shorter maternity leave worked for them? I really love my students and want to continue teaching. Thank you!

Replies (3)

Edited: November 12, 2018, 4:49 PM · Hi, Briana. :-)

No helpful advice here since I resumed teaching lessons two weeks after the births of each of my children. But congratulations!

(and yes I was exclusively nursing on demand...I didn't schedule huge blocks of lessons but rather planned frequent breaks, and I only scheduled students when my husband would be home)

November 12, 2018, 11:56 PM · I think I took 8 weeks with each of mine. I taught/teach only part time though.

I made a point to plan ahead with each student so they had a vision and a practice plan for what they could do over the leave. I encouraged my more advanced students to take guest lessons with other teachers I trusted (not sure any of them took me up on this). In the second half I did offer "a la carte" lessons to those students who had events, competitions coming up.

I had one leave fall over the nov/dec holidays and one over the summer so neither of those was a big deal. My 3rd was a spring baby which was not cool timing for recitals and auditions. But by that time I knew what I could handle and felt more comfortable scheduling extra lessons as needed.

November 13, 2018, 5:23 PM · Thank you both!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay