Compositions For Violin/Piano music for Church Setting

Edited: November 12, 2018, 12:43 PM · I have been kicking around a few ideas for playing the violin in church. I watched a bunch of videos and did the typical internet searches and found a bunch of books,although I am unsure of the quality of these.Many of the titles I don't recognize as common songs.

Our church recently has another pianist who has agreed to accompany. I believe this will really add to the experience if I can get something for piano/violin.

I'm probably looking for intermediate level material.

I know this idea seems off the deep end a bit. I am contemplating making up my own pieces in notation software to play. I could easily compose in a notation program and give the pianist her part in notation. This way, I would know what I have instead of buying a book with 10 songs in it and only using one of them.

Has anyone here built their own compos for this kind of thing? It doesn't seem as if it would be overly complex for only two instruments.

Replies (2)

November 12, 2018, 12:40 PM · I'm sure you could do it yourself in a notation program.
Just pick a song you like or would really like to perform and pick a key that you are comfortable with. Then write the violin part out in the program then work out a piano accompaniment for it. Then maybe write a second verse with the piano as a solo and the violin obligato or just softly chording in the background. Then maybe a third verse with a little variation in the melody with the violin (you could probably use the same piano accompaniment that was used for the first verse.
There are many combinations you can use. You could modulate to a different key for each verse for more variety. Or distribute the melody between the violin and piano for a verse of the song.
Not only a good experience for you but also a lot of fun.
Paul
November 12, 2018, 12:55 PM · Thank you Paul. I just downloaded a notation program and have the first few notes in it. This is kind of backwards from how I normally work but I think I'll get the hang of it :)

Great ideas.

This is just something I've never done. Should be an adventure. It does seem like it might also be fun to do. Christmas is coming up fast. This could prove to be helpful!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay