My left hand is [censored] (a plea for help)

Edited: November 12, 2018, 10:03 AM · It is.

I'm very unhappy with my knuckles popping out when playing a low second finger.

I don't know if these pictures might help you to gain an idea of what's happening.

"Normal"
"Normal"

With low second finger
With low second finger

Replies (9)

November 12, 2018, 9:13 AM · Maybe you can rephrase the title?
November 12, 2018, 10:03 AM · Done!
Edited: November 12, 2018, 10:33 AM · A "low two" may have to curl a little under itself (keeping the nail very short) without changing the hand alignment at all.
November 12, 2018, 1:08 PM · One problem that some teen-aged students often have, especially the girls, is finger joints collapsing,- "double-jointed". This is because the ligaments that connect the bones are a little too long, and the joints hyper-extend. Our body parts don't grow perfectly in synch during growth-spurts. They can outgrow that problem, with time. Be sure that the base joint of the fingers are not too low, below the level of the fingerboard. That can be adjusted by the position of the thumb and left elbow. The base joint of the first finger has a tendency to collapse forward for most players. I advocate a "round hand" which you can replicate by firmly grasping a tennis ball or baseball. The fingers will then be separated, the knuckles not rubbing each other, and the thumb moves forward a little, near the second finger. Hope that helps.
November 13, 2018, 3:25 AM · What exactly is the problem here? It looks like the finger allows you to play a low-2 just fine. Is it causing you pain?
November 13, 2018, 6:28 AM ·
OH! at the base of the finger, I was looking at the tip. No idea what causes that.

November 13, 2018, 11:00 PM · Yeah, I can see the knuckle protruding, but my question here is "why does this matter"? Not everyone's hands look the same when they're playing, so it's important we look at things from a functionality perspective and not from an aesthetic perspective.
Edited: November 14, 2018, 2:02 PM · >"why does this matter"?

Isn't this what people normally call "bad technique"?

It also looks like something that would require to perform many "unnecessary" moves when playing.

November 14, 2018, 2:51 PM · Bad technique = anything that gets in the way of making the sound you intend on making, or makes it so you have to work unnecessarily hard.

A video might help me understand how it is making things harder for you:

If you could record a video of your hand keeping your 1-finger on while pressing/releasing your low-2 multiple times (you don't have to bow while doing this) then I might be able to get a better idea of if this problem actually causes you problems, or if it's merely an aesthetic issue.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay