Trill over an augmented fourth

November 11, 2018, 8:31 PM · Any suggestions for executing the trills in measures 9, 13 and 25 of the Bach D minor Sarabande? (Szeryng and RBP editions. Some editions write out the first repeat.)

Replies (5)

November 11, 2018, 10:13 PM · I was taught to release the lower note to execute the trill. In the Herrmann edition in M13 he even shows a 16th note for the C. Thus the lower note only sounds for a short time.
November 12, 2018, 1:56 PM · I use 1&2 for the augmented 4th, and 3 for the trill.
But admittedly I have thin fingers!
Edited: November 12, 2018, 8:50 PM · I have tried 2&3 with the pinky for the trill, but it doesn't work well. So I shorten the f# and make a long appogiatura.

The same situation occurs BTW in Telemann's Fantasias (number 2, G-Major, Largo, M7). There the trill is short and the pinky works just fine (the problem there is to play a triplet on the A string while playing a doublet on the D!).

November 12, 2018, 10:19 PM · Have the P5 sound, then just release the lower note. No reason to twist yourself into a pretzel to do it.
One could argue that the 5th is more important than the 4+: the chords are really just suspensions.
For that reason I prefer to linger on the upper note before stepping down to the 4th.
Edited: November 18, 2018, 5:59 PM · Thank you all. I am listening on Youtube to Podger andPine andthey seem to play the augmented fourth and move to a trill over the upper note.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay