Hill pattern Guarneris

November 10, 2018, 3:27 AM · First I saw this one and decided that I wanted it: -
https://www.thestringzone.co.uk/guarneri-chin-rest-hill-pattern
Then I saw this one and wondered why it was so much cheaper: -
https://www.caswells-strings.co.uk/product/guarneri-ebony-with-hill-nickel-feet/
I think the first is Gewa. Are they such a good make that the price is justified?

Replies (7)

Edited: November 10, 2018, 6:43 AM · I can't know why one is more expensive than the other without actually seeing and feeling them.

My search for just one more Stuber model chinrest to fit a violin I acquired in 1990 was unsucessful when I tried and bought them from various dealers for standard chinrest prices because they were no longer manufactured in Europe as my others had been but in Asia instead and did not fit my jaw. I finally had to order one custom made from the UK for twice the price of the most expensive Andrew F. shows above. It fit my jaw.

I do know that I intensely dislike Hill chinrest fittings because I cannot prevent them from pressing into my neck.

November 10, 2018, 9:38 AM · "I think the first is Gewa. Are they such a good make that the price is justified?"

Many chin rests are made in Asia, especially India. Maybe you can find out where they're from. Personally, I've never liked those type of feet. They look good, but they're not that comfortable.

November 10, 2018, 11:29 AM · Funny. For me they're a real relief, but this may be due to my individual shape of the collar bone or how I have to position the instrument. I use a Berber which I flattened a bit, and I changed the feet to those Hill style because the ordinary bracket most rests come with painfully presses onto my collarbone.
Edited: November 10, 2018, 11:32 AM · ... everyone's different...
November 10, 2018, 12:12 PM · Nuuska, the way I deal with the contact of an ordinary bracket with my collar bone is to wrap the bracket in a strip of chamois leather before fitting the chin rest to the violin. Like you, I don't have a problem with the Hill style feet.
November 10, 2018, 1:05 PM · Trevor, do you remove the corck layer before wrapping the chamois on?
I put a piece of soft cloth or Chamonix between my jaw/neck/collarbone and the instrument, first to protect the soft oil varnish from sweat and other substances transmitted via skin contact, and second to dampen the contact point where CR bracket or instrument meet the bone. Maybe I'm a bit over sensitive there... (It's definitely not a "tension"-problem.)
November 10, 2018, 3:24 PM · Nuuska, no, I don't remove the cork. I think its presence helps the chamois strip to stabilise in position.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings