Is there a good way of determining quality of violins from Tarisio T2 auctions?

November 9, 2018, 8:19 AM · Hello!

I was looking at the T2 auctions and see the range can be from $500 to several thousand. Is there a way to "guess" how good it would sound? I know each violin is different, and I've seen posts on here of people who have found old violins valued in the hundreds that sound like several thousand dollar instruments. It seems expert valuations on old instruments don't always correlate to their sound quality, so I was curious what others here think if it's worth messing around with the T2 auctions.

Replies (2)

Edited: November 9, 2018, 12:42 PM · Go there, pick them up and look at them. Play them. You can call or e-mail and ask for information, but tone is subjective.
Don't forget that tone doesn't figure into the price: who made it and what condition do. Nothing in the T2 comes with attribution or guarantee.
I have bought and sold there, but I purchase knowing that work will need to be done.
November 9, 2018, 2:57 PM · And remember that instruments at auction might not have a good set-up. So you have to be able to accurately listen for potential, too.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings