Music stand light comparison

November 7, 2018, 10:39 AM · Has anyone tried / seen both the Lotus Light Pro6 and Mighty Bright Orchestra stand lights? I am wondering how they compare. I would choose the Lotus Light if it wasn't costing me $170 CDN after the exchange, shipping, taxes ( US and CDN). I can't find a Canadian supplier. The Mighty Bright seems to be the next best option going around. Still not cheap, but significantly less than the Lotus, so I am trying to decide if the Lotus is really worth all the extra cash.

Replies (28)

November 7, 2018, 11:26 AM · I haven't been able to find the traditional beeswax music stand candles in the stores either :)
November 7, 2018, 12:14 PM · Between my wife being a music educator as well as a performing artist and me and my attempt to be a violinist, we have several stand lights, the Lotus Pro6 and the Mighty Orchestra light being two of them.

In our opinion the Mighty Bright Orchestra model is as bright as the Lotus when on the brightest setting and the battery life is comparable as well, for half the price of the Lotus, on Amazon, $49 compared to $119 US. We have three of the Mighty Brights and they have held up well.

For a comparable price of the Lotus Pro 6, I would recommend an Arai Forte light. It is hands down our favorite stand light for durability, quality and usefulness. It too is rechargeable and will work with a plug as well. I also think it is aesthetically the better looking light, as well as more refined and professional in appearance. IMO

November 7, 2018, 12:18 PM · I just have a cheapo one, but it works great and is very helpful!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011BAQLAU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

November 7, 2018, 12:32 PM · I've bookmarked this one: - https://www.amazon.co.uk/LNSTUDIO-Rechargeable-Eye-Care-Orchestra-Brightness/dp/B075R8JZGR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541612087&sr=8-3&keywords=music+stand+light
November 7, 2018, 1:16 PM · I use Mighty Bright which works quite well in the poorly lit hall where my orch rehearses.
November 7, 2018, 1:54 PM · I think our orchestra has Mighty Brights. I find them too dim and therefore exhausting to use (tires my eyes out) so I bring my Lotus Light from home whenever we are playing something that requires stand lights. Several of my colleagues do the same. Well worth the extra cost IMO.

November 7, 2018, 3:29 PM · There are several models of Mighty Brights and the model we have is the Orchestra model. It's brightness has been more than adequate for us but the Lotus is brighter on it's higher setting for sure. For the price of a Lotus though I think the Arai Forte is a much better built and designed light and even brighter than the Lotus Pro 6.

I also prefer the Arai's audience shield. The light is much less distracting to those on the other side of it.

November 7, 2018, 4:56 PM · Lotus and Aria are awesome. Lotus is more portable.
November 7, 2018, 4:58 PM · I have tried several music stand lights, and currently use a MightyBrite that has two LED light heads on goose neck extensions. It’s great for illuminating two pages at once. I adapted a USB cable to supply 5.5 VDC to the battery eliminator connection by replacing the connector on the cord, and use a portable USB battery instead of feeding it AAAs. It lasts at least a week with many hours of practice on one charge. A small USB battery is very inconspicuous hanging from the light behind the music stand.
Edited: November 8, 2018, 5:08 AM · I've been using the Lampcraft latest Fermat stand light since they emailed me their first ad after I had already started using their products. For me it seems as good as the much more expensive and larger lights I see colleagues using all around me. I have no trouble illuminating 2 sheets and with a stretch, 3.

The light level says constant as the battery discharges until it reaches a point and starts to blink. The brightness setting can then be changed and it will continue to light at a constant slightly lower level until the next change.

The whole assembly in its soft cloth case will fit into a suit pocket including 4 extra AA batteries. However I carry it in an old soft Peterson stand-light case along with my black fold-up K&M stand and my folding G-Seat Lite cushion - and an extra small light for emergencies and forgetful fellow musicians. I use a black folder on the stand to back up my music and look like a studio stand.

November 7, 2018, 8:48 PM · Thanks everyone, very useful feedback. I bought the Mighty Bright Orchestra locally to try, with return option. So far it looks like it will meet my needs. Bright "enough" with good uniform coverage and comfortable light temperature.

It is 130% less expensive than the Lotus Pro6, but I am guessing 80% as effective. Failing that the Lotus will be my next option. I like the Arias, but not quite as portable. The Fermata looks like the most portable, but with only one LED head has a less homogenious coverage. Some people have issues with the lack of a lithium battery on the Mighty Bright, but personally I see it as more flexible.

I'll report back after a while to let you know how this works out.

November 7, 2018, 9:24 PM · I had a previous thread on a similar question: LINK

I really like the Aria lights, but the Lotus has proven to be lightweight, easily transportable, and it doesn't block the view the way that the Aria does.

Edited: November 8, 2018, 5:47 PM · Tx Lydia, I had seen your previous post, which led me to the Lotus Light Pro6 as my preferred choice. For US citizens it is a very good somewhat affordable option indeed, but for us north of the border it's $70 more than the Mighty Bright Orchestra. I'll give the Mighty Bright Orchestra a week, then make my final decision: return and spend the extra cash on a lotus (what an appropriate brand name) or keep.
November 7, 2018, 10:40 PM · Surprisingly, the Fermata is quite uniform over 2 sheets even though it has only a single LED. GOOD DESIGN!
November 7, 2018, 11:23 PM · Andrew, what is the light temperature like on the Fermata? Blueish, yellowish or daylightish?
November 8, 2018, 12:23 AM · Everything I've ever bought that's sold as a music stand light have been terrible. I'm not using a gooseneck light from IKEA I bought for 1.99 and so far it's the best. Other options are Home Depot clip lights. Sometimes, the best music products are not sold in music stores.
November 8, 2018, 5:06 AM · Roger, to my eyes the Fermata light is "daylightish."
Edited: November 10, 2018, 10:38 AM · Tx Andrew. Unfortunately the Fermata can not be purchased at this time. Price says "New Model Coming Soon" and it has for quite a long time I understand.

Comparison for the lights I feel are worthy options (Prices CDN $ after tax, shipping etc.). All have acceptable charge capacity.

Aria Forte: $207CDN
Pros - best light quality and construction
Cons - least portable, impeeds view the most

LiPo battery, Warm White

Lotus Light Pro6: $160CDN
Pros - Excellent light quality, compact and durable
Cons - 2nd most expensive

LiPo battery, 6 Daylight White LEDs

Lampcraft Fermata: $80CDN Estimated
Pros - Most portable, adequate consistent light coverage, good price
Cons - Not available at this time

AA batteries add $45 for NiMH, 1 Blue/Daylight White LED

Mighty Bright Orchestra: $90CDN
Pros - Available locally, good price
Cons - Not as good as and bigger than the Lotus (but lighter),

AA batteries add $45 for NiMH, 9 Daylight White LED

Note: this model was improved 2 yrs after the "Music Stand Light Review" measurements and is possibly brighter than reported.

November 8, 2018, 9:40 PM · Yes, the newer model Mighty Bright Orchestra is brighter than the original and easily lights three pages on my wide stand. Also, while the Lotus has a slightly smaller lamp head, it weighs more than the the Mighty Bright. When both are in their travel pouches, the room they take up in my music bag is comparable.

The Arai, as stated in the previous post, is the least compact but it easily fits in my stand bag without notice, so no real con for me. It's the brightest of the three and while mentioned above that it impedes view, I've not experienced that. For me, its only con is the inability like the Lotus, to use standard batteries in an emergency (dead battery).

I like my Lotus and Arai but I do wish they were capable of using standard batteries like the Mighty Bright because I have been in situations a couple of times where the light went out on me during rehearsal (forgot to charge) whereas with the Mighty Bright including the rechargeable batteries, I can quickly throw in some AA batteries and I'm up and going again. Thank goodness that didn't happen during a performance, but I keep a small clip headlamp on my stand for emergencies.

All three will work with their respective power supplies as well but I hate cords.

Edited: November 10, 2018, 10:31 AM · Skip, I'm curious, have you tried high capacity lithium AA batteries with the Mighty Bright Orchestra? If the advertised performance is true, I.e. 9x that of standard alkaline this would mean over 50 hrs of good light performance.
November 14, 2018, 8:35 AM · Just got a note from Aria, whose Forte is a fantastic rechargeable light for those who can carry it around. 20% off for those who use promo code ForteMusic.

November 14, 2018, 10:31 AM · Thank you Stephen for sharing that info. Unfortunately for me in Canada, it means buying in the US and with the exchange rate and all it still works out to $245CDN after rebate :-(. Oh well. It looks like I will keep the Mighty Bright Orchestra, so far it is working pretty good for me. Neither the brightest nor the most portable, but the best price/feature ratio overall.
November 14, 2018, 10:53 AM · The mighty brite with the two goosenecks is nowhere near as good as the orchestra one with the 6 LED lamps inside a strip.
Edited: November 14, 2018, 5:48 PM · "... the Orchestra...with... 6 LED lamps inside a strip"

The Mighty Bright Orchestra has 9 LED lamps actually (at least the current version has). It easily covers 3 pages wide. In a very dark room, I even find that the lower brightness setting of the Orchestra is often enough.

November 14, 2018, 5:51 PM · Sorry, I saw one briefly and I thought it had 6. Could have been 9. Hard to see ... stage was dark. :)
November 14, 2018, 6:37 PM · I went through this process about 6 months ago and settled on the Lotus Pro6 ($120). The light quality is excellent, portability is good, the battery will probably last through a long rehearsal plus performance.

But if you run short of battery (and this was a big selling point for me) you can plug in a standard portable USB charger just like the ones people use for iPhones when they run out of juice.

Good to know that the Mighty Bright is brighter now. I like the Mighty Bright because it is the only high-end light that runs off AA batteries (meaning you can keep extra AAs in case your batteries run down, or even buy some AAs in an emergency)

November 15, 2018, 1:03 AM · Paul, you might have seen the Mighty Bright "Encore" model, which looks almost identical to the "Orchestra" but with 6 LEDs.
November 15, 2018, 10:27 AM · Roger, no, I have not tried the hi cap lithiums yet. I use rechargeable batteries right now but carry spares. So far the brightness and battery life have been good for me but I will try them out. Thanks

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings