TwoSet Violin

November 7, 2018, 6:29 AM · I’ve been reading the other threads lately and was surprised to see the mention of TwoSet Violin in some posts! I just wanted to know how many of our V-commers watch TwoSet Violin haha

If you don’t who they are, they’re a violin duo of Eddy Chen and Brett Yang. They make classical music humor for us classical musicians to relate to. If you don’t know who they are, type in TwoSet Violin in the YouTube search bar and you just might end up watching their videos all day instead of practicing for 40 hours ;)

Replies (26)

November 7, 2018, 6:51 AM · The first two or three are funny. After that it gets old.
November 7, 2018, 7:21 AM · I stopped their videos after they made fun of special needs individuals.
November 7, 2018, 7:37 AM · They are amateurs releasing videos daily, so there are some hits and a lot of misses. But some of the hits are really hilarious.
November 7, 2018, 8:29 AM · I enjoy watching their videos. They are all very good.
Edited: November 7, 2018, 8:31 AM · My 12 and 15 year old are big fans so I use a TwoSet avatar pic here :-).
November 7, 2018, 8:46 AM · I watch them sometime. They have some good videos.
November 7, 2018, 9:28 AM · They are definitely not amateurs. I believe they both play in the Melbourne Symphony, which is a full-time professional orchestra.
November 7, 2018, 9:31 AM · I think they release content a bit too often. Some of it really falls flat. Some of it, though, is pretty spicy.
Their fanbase is awful, though. A bunch of little kids parroting their jokes ad nauseam. Viola gang and Ling Ling were funny gags the first time. The thousandth not so much.

I haven't been to any of their shows, but, from what I've seen on Youtube, their live performances are just ok.

November 7, 2018, 10:12 AM · Like Lydia said, they are not amateurs. They both went to conservatory, have performance degrees and play(ed) as soloists and in major professional orchestras. Btw Eddy Chen has some very useful teaching videos on youtube.

I enjoy (many of) their videos but agree the constant Ling Ling jokes from their fans have become stale rather fast. But one shouldn't read youtube comments anyway.

Edited: November 7, 2018, 11:36 AM · Lydia, On their website it says they left Sydney and Queensland Symphony Orchestras in 2016. Both bios also mention Melbourne Symphony but with no detailed info (they don't appear on the Melbourne Symphony roster):
https://www.twosetviolin.com/about/
November 7, 2018, 1:24 PM · http://www.ayo.com.au/content/brett-yang/gjroko

https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=EddyChenViolin

November 7, 2018, 1:50 PM · Their "16 Things All Gig Musicians Have Experienced" is spot on.

I watched their "7 Different Types of Musicians' Mothers" with my daughter (a serious flute student) and she informed me that I was exactly like mother #2.

November 7, 2018, 4:07 PM · Mary, I've always thought you are No. 2 too! :-))
November 7, 2018, 5:58 PM · I watch them too. Most of what they talk about is super relatable and funny, and I think they're doing a lot to make the culture of classically trained string players accessible to the public, which is nice.
November 7, 2018, 6:34 PM · Sorry, when I said "amateurs" I meant that they aren't a media studio or professional comedians.
November 7, 2018, 7:11 PM · this one seems almost right

November 8, 2018, 8:31 AM · I watched them too!
November 8, 2018, 7:17 PM · I actually really like/love them.

My personal favourites....this reminds me of how I talk to the boy when he’s practicing his drums and or guitar in the beginning of the video. The rest reminds me of how I talk to myself when practicing violin. Shoot I laughed till cried over this one..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZfFI8LiE4

This one is pretty great too because even people I know that know nothing of violin or stringed instruments appreaciate the humour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPn91wRfxNQ

November 8, 2018, 9:50 PM · My kids (9 and 13) think they are the best thing ever. I enjoy some of their videos but not as much as the kids do. I think it is great that the kids have something relatable.
Edited: November 9, 2018, 12:43 AM · To clarify, they have played casually, on occasion, with the MSO. I believe they also took part in the fellowship program with SSO - they did not have full time jobs there. But they are very well trained and respected here & have done well with creating twoset.

When did they make fun of special needs people? That is disappointing to hear, & would like to see the specific video.

Edited: November 9, 2018, 9:56 AM · I can relate to them.
November 10, 2018, 11:07 PM · Yes their humor can be a little corny and you certainly don’t need to watch every video, but they are still fun. I watch them with my 10YO and the videos really make him laugh. They are great for making violin a little less serious and even making it a little bit cool. We’re going to see them in concert next month and really looking foreword to it, despite my own aversion to YouTube personalities. ??
Edited: November 12, 2018, 5:15 AM · I don't believe Twoset has ever made fun of special needs people, however I can think of 2 videos where sensitive people were offended.

In one of the videos, there was an accompanying title of 'trigger warning'. What they meant by 'trigger' was that people may be very annoyed by the content and it would trigger an emotional response based on opinion, but what many people thought was that it was an epilepsy seizure trigger warning. Perhaps it's just unfortunate that the younger generation uses the word 'trigger' very freely today without realising what it means for it other people? In any case, if you were one of those that thought they were making fun of special needs people, you can be assured that they weren't.

Second example would be the short video series on impersonating violinists. One of the violinists happened to be Perlman, so they sat down in a chair to impersonate him. Really has nothing to do with making fun of special needs people, in fact the impersonation for me would just look completely absurd if they were standing up...

Edited: November 12, 2018, 5:37 AM · Like others, I like the way they make classical music accessible to everyone, young people especially as we need more of us (being 21 myself). Their viola jokes bother me a rather large amount
November 12, 2018, 8:59 AM · "I don't believe Twoset has ever made fun of special needs people, however I can think of 2 videos where sensitive people were offended."

It doesn't bother me when they make fun of someone who makes stupid claims (like the "I can play 15 notes a second" guy).

But some other videos (like this one) seem uncalled for.

November 13, 2018, 8:20 AM · Videos like “reacting to a prodigy” or “when you realize you have zero talent” make fun of all of us! Still, I enjoy them.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings