TwoSet Violin

November 7, 2018, 6:29 AM · I’ve been reading the other threads lately and was surprised to see the mention of TwoSet Violin in some posts! I just wanted to know how many of our V-commers watch TwoSet Violin haha

If you don’t who they are, they’re a violin duo of Eddy Chen and Brett Yang. They make classical music humor for us classical musicians to relate to. If you don’t know who they are, type in TwoSet Violin in the YouTube search bar and you just might end up watching their videos all day instead of practicing for 40 hours ;)

Replies (49)

November 7, 2018, 6:51 AM · The first two or three are funny. After that it gets old.
November 7, 2018, 7:21 AM · I stopped their videos after they made fun of special needs individuals.
November 7, 2018, 7:37 AM · They are amateurs releasing videos daily, so there are some hits and a lot of misses. But some of the hits are really hilarious.
November 7, 2018, 8:29 AM · I enjoy watching their videos. They are all very good.
Edited: November 7, 2018, 8:31 AM · My 12 and 15 year old are big fans so I use a TwoSet avatar pic here :-).
November 7, 2018, 8:46 AM · I watch them sometime. They have some good videos.
November 7, 2018, 9:28 AM · They are definitely not amateurs. I believe they both play in the Melbourne Symphony, which is a full-time professional orchestra.
November 7, 2018, 9:31 AM · I think they release content a bit too often. Some of it really falls flat. Some of it, though, is pretty spicy.
Their fanbase is awful, though. A bunch of little kids parroting their jokes ad nauseam. Viola gang and Ling Ling were funny gags the first time. The thousandth not so much.

I haven't been to any of their shows, but, from what I've seen on Youtube, their live performances are just ok.

November 7, 2018, 10:12 AM · Like Lydia said, they are not amateurs. They both went to conservatory, have performance degrees and play(ed) as soloists and in major professional orchestras. Btw Eddy Chen has some very useful teaching videos on youtube.

I enjoy (many of) their videos but agree the constant Ling Ling jokes from their fans have become stale rather fast. But one shouldn't read youtube comments anyway.

Edited: November 7, 2018, 11:36 AM · Lydia, On their website it says they left Sydney and Queensland Symphony Orchestras in 2016. Both bios also mention Melbourne Symphony but with no detailed info (they don't appear on the Melbourne Symphony roster):
https://www.twosetviolin.com/about/
November 7, 2018, 1:24 PM · http://www.ayo.com.au/content/brett-yang/gjroko

https://www.violinist.com/directory/bio.cfm?member=EddyChenViolin

November 7, 2018, 1:50 PM · Their "16 Things All Gig Musicians Have Experienced" is spot on.

I watched their "7 Different Types of Musicians' Mothers" with my daughter (a serious flute student) and she informed me that I was exactly like mother #2.

November 7, 2018, 4:07 PM · Mary, I've always thought you are No. 2 too! :-))
November 7, 2018, 5:58 PM · I watch them too. Most of what they talk about is super relatable and funny, and I think they're doing a lot to make the culture of classically trained string players accessible to the public, which is nice.
November 7, 2018, 6:34 PM · Sorry, when I said "amateurs" I meant that they aren't a media studio or professional comedians.
November 7, 2018, 7:11 PM · this one seems almost right

November 8, 2018, 8:31 AM · I watched them too!
November 8, 2018, 7:17 PM · I actually really like/love them.

My personal favourites....this reminds me of how I talk to the boy when he’s practicing his drums and or guitar in the beginning of the video. The rest reminds me of how I talk to myself when practicing violin. Shoot I laughed till cried over this one..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DaZfFI8LiE4

This one is pretty great too because even people I know that know nothing of violin or stringed instruments appreaciate the humour.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPn91wRfxNQ

November 8, 2018, 9:50 PM · My kids (9 and 13) think they are the best thing ever. I enjoy some of their videos but not as much as the kids do. I think it is great that the kids have something relatable.
Edited: November 9, 2018, 12:43 AM · To clarify, they have played casually, on occasion, with the MSO. I believe they also took part in the fellowship program with SSO - they did not have full time jobs there. But they are very well trained and respected here & have done well with creating twoset.

When did they make fun of special needs people? That is disappointing to hear, & would like to see the specific video.

Edited: November 9, 2018, 9:56 AM · I can relate to them.
November 10, 2018, 11:07 PM · Yes their humor can be a little corny and you certainly don’t need to watch every video, but they are still fun. I watch them with my 10YO and the videos really make him laugh. They are great for making violin a little less serious and even making it a little bit cool. We’re going to see them in concert next month and really looking foreword to it, despite my own aversion to YouTube personalities. ??
Edited: November 12, 2018, 5:15 AM · I don't believe Twoset has ever made fun of special needs people, however I can think of 2 videos where sensitive people were offended.

In one of the videos, there was an accompanying title of 'trigger warning'. What they meant by 'trigger' was that people may be very annoyed by the content and it would trigger an emotional response based on opinion, but what many people thought was that it was an epilepsy seizure trigger warning. Perhaps it's just unfortunate that the younger generation uses the word 'trigger' very freely today without realising what it means for it other people? In any case, if you were one of those that thought they were making fun of special needs people, you can be assured that they weren't.

Second example would be the short video series on impersonating violinists. One of the violinists happened to be Perlman, so they sat down in a chair to impersonate him. Really has nothing to do with making fun of special needs people, in fact the impersonation for me would just look completely absurd if they were standing up...

Edited: November 12, 2018, 5:37 AM · Like others, I like the way they make classical music accessible to everyone, young people especially as we need more of us (being 21 myself). Their viola jokes bother me a rather large amount
November 12, 2018, 8:59 AM · "I don't believe Twoset has ever made fun of special needs people, however I can think of 2 videos where sensitive people were offended."

It doesn't bother me when they make fun of someone who makes stupid claims (like the "I can play 15 notes a second" guy).

But some other videos (like this one) seem uncalled for.

November 13, 2018, 8:20 AM · Videos like “reacting to a prodigy” or “when you realize you have zero talent” make fun of all of us! Still, I enjoy them.
Edited: November 17, 2018, 3:39 AM · I'm going to say something very naive.

I assume that twoset don't really hate the viola, they are just putting it on? Otoh, they NEVER let up!

Also, I can't discover which particular ling ling they are always talking about.

November 17, 2018, 7:06 AM · Ling Ling was first mentioned here by the tiger mother:

Here he is:
November 17, 2018, 11:23 PM · They're putting on the viola thing for their younger audience. It's a little obnoxious at this stage if you ask me.
Edited: November 17, 2018, 11:45 PM · Yes, Kate, I think you've probably hit the nail on the head.

So Ling Ling doesn't exist. That's good in a way.
I didn't know, because there is a female violinist called Ling Ling, but as far as I can tell from one Youtube vid, she's good, but nothing amazing.

And then there's Lang Lang, who I think is hugely over-rated.

November 18, 2018, 8:10 AM · It's hard enough to convince young people to take up the viola. Proliferating viola jokes only adds to the problem. There are many ways to be humorous without disparaging the viola or violists.
November 18, 2018, 8:28 AM · I think joking around is just the humorous side of life and to laugh always makes me feel better. People love to tell me violin jokes and I always look for new banjo and guitar jokes to put away for future use although I do have a hard time remebering jokes. My best friend who died quite a while ago told me he could remember every joke he ever heard and who told it to him.
Edited: November 24, 2018, 5:11 PM ·
Andrew Fryer wrote:
"I'm going to say something very naive.

I assume that twoset don't really hate the viola, they are just putting it on? Otoh, they NEVER let up!
"

Chances are that they actually like the viola, otherwise I doubt that they would play in a string quartet like this:

Edited: November 21, 2018, 6:33 PM · In fact this video turns the tables on the joke nicely, I think. (sorry, I don't know how to embed it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH9WiELFmnA
November 21, 2018, 6:53 PM · They're conservatory-educated adults... of course they are putting it on. Nobody seriously believes viola jokes are the truth.
November 21, 2018, 7:04 PM · They are funny and witty. I would just say that it would be nice if they were a little more careful with language and gestures when it comes to younger audiences.
November 23, 2018, 3:32 AM · I love the guys at TwoSet, they are talented and can be incredibly funny and entertaining.
...but my D is longer than theirs! ;)
(shameless self-promoting)

November 23, 2018, 9:42 AM · They must be paying attention Fox because I went back recently to one of our favorite viola digs in "Learn to Conduct like Gergiev in 1 minute" with the special viola-section hand gesture, and they had completely blurred it out.
Edited: November 23, 2018, 10:37 AM · @Kate, well that's putting it a bit strongly - the point was the almost insane amount of repetition, really. Mind, I've heard all these jokes already from a violist, even the one about two of them jumping over a cliff. I won't even bother reciting any anti-violin jokes here, as I'm sure everyone here has heard and told them many times over.
Edited: November 23, 2018, 6:22 PM · Andrew Fryer wrote:
"In fact this video turns the tables on the joke nicely, I think. (sorry, I don't know how to embed it)"

Here you can read how to embed a YouTube video:
Violinist.com is now more mobile-compatible

November 26, 2018, 5:04 AM · Actually, in the instructions that Lars just linked to, there is mention of a "custom" button where you can set the width to 500, however, I don't see such a button. Can anyone offer advice? I see width and height attributes in the HTML code, I guess one could manually calculate a rescaling to width of 500, but strange that this seems to have been automated before but now no longer?
Edited: November 27, 2018, 3:57 AM · jean dubuisson
I couldn't find any "custom" button either.
So what you do instead:

Find a YouTube video. The videos seem to always have a width that is "560". Maybe that can be different but the ones I have checked has been like that. Click "Share" and then click "Embed". Then you will see the code.

First copy the code and paste it in Notepad.
Then change the width from "560" to "500".

You can leave the height if you wish or you can change it from "315" to "281". Why that number? I will explain it here:

500 is is aproximately 89% of 560. Well, to be exact it is
89.28571428571429 %. So we need to change the height with the same percentage.

89.28571428571429 % of 315 is 281.25. I don't think you can have fractions of pixels so I round it to 281.

If you don't change the height but leave it at "315" you just get a wider black frame above and underneath compared with "281".

Conclusion just change the width from "560" to "500", and if you don't care about a wider black frame above and underneath leave the height as it is.

Then copy the code from Notepad into the post.

EDIT: I just found out that you can find the embed code by just right clicking on the YouTube video and then click "Copy embed code"
BUT
then the height and the width in the code will be that exact height and width that is actually displayed right at that moment on your screen which means they can be very big especially if you have full screen. In that case just change the numbers to 500 and 281.

If you instead click on "Share" and "Embed" as explained above the default numbers seem to always be 560 and 315.

EDIT 2:
By further looking into this matter I have found out that the post where Laurie Niles tells that the width should only be "500" might have a typo regarding that number, because images can have a width up to 560 pixels. Furthermore if you want to start a new discussion topic and want to embed a video you are just told to click on "Share" and "Embed" and paste the code as it is. And that will give a width of "560".

Also note that there are a lot of videos posted with that size. In this topic it is only the video which I posted that has a width "500". The others are "560".

Conclusion is that you can just use the default values "560" and "315".

I will send a message to Laurie Niles asking her to read this and confirm if correct.

November 27, 2018, 2:49 AM · OK Lars, understood. Thanks for looking into it!
November 27, 2018, 11:52 AM · The best width for embedding a Youtube video on V.com would be 560 pixels wide, I hope that helps!
November 27, 2018, 12:38 PM ·
Laurie Niles

Thank you!

Would you mind changing it to 560 in this topic where it says 500:
Violinist.com is now more mobile-compatible

November 27, 2018, 12:56 PM · Fox, I'm very impressed with the length of your D.
November 27, 2018, 1:07 PM · OMG Lars that is an old reference! Yes though, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I have updated that!
November 27, 2018, 1:22 PM · Humor in general usually makes light of something or someone in a funny or interesting way. Some people are very sensitive though and it doesn't sit well if they take it as a slam.

I'm sorry. I must have been offensive and didn't realize it on the TwoSet video links I posted. I'll think twice before I ever post anything I think is funny here again. I made reference to their race. I mean it's obvious. I won't go any further, but I never mean't it as offensive in any way. I have great respect for Asians. I mentioned they were Asian. I mentioned they were funny Asians. Somehow that was either typed in a way that was offensive or it was taken that way.I never intended that in a derogatory way. I think watching these broke a few stereotypes I had.

Honestly I was trying to lighten things up and ended up in a hornets nest.

I agree with the opinions here that their language is a bit much occasionally for younger audiences. I think they are very talented and creative. Yes, after watching more than a few I need to quit as it can become a bit much. Ok in smaller doses for me when I'm in a particularly juvenile mood;)

Edited: November 28, 2018, 6:20 AM · Testing...
Coo, I didn't expect that to work first time!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Los Angeles Philharmonic
Los Angeles Philharmonic