Tarisio auction: Is this Roth violin worth bidding?

Edited: November 3, 2018, 9:26 PM · I am not a dealer. I am curious because I heard Roth 1920s violins are good investments and they sound much better than the ones made in 30s or 50s. And I am looking for an upgrade in this price range (about $5000).

The Tarisio auction is happening now in NYC. The current bid is $4750. Can anyone tell me is this Roth worth bidding? For people who tested it in person, can you tell me how it sounds and its condition?

https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2198863872&cpid=3544170496&filter_key=

I am guessing from the photos that it looks like a Strad copy IVR model.

Replies (2)

November 3, 2018, 10:42 PM · It's a good looking violin. One piece back always preferred so the wood doesn't split. Top has ultra dense grains in the center, and ultra wide outside. If made well, it could sound great.

But the price's gotten too high already for a German violin. You're already in the quality Italian instruments. Wait for their T2 auctions. I was goofing off and bought a 1920's Juzek for $700 and oh my God it sounds like a 10k violin.

You're better off trying to go for the Vittorio Villa or Mario Gadda violins. That's just me.

The highest quality violins in the 5k range were in the London auctions, which have already ended. More coming up, so no rush.

November 4, 2018, 8:49 AM · Gaddas are going at auction for 2 to 3 times this amount.

It's been years, but I have had my hands on a couple of 1920-vintage ER Roths and they were very bright, probably would have projected well in a larger venue. The last one was around 20 years ago and had been bought for well over $5,000 (for some reason $8,000 sticks in my mind, but I can't be sure. The first was around 40 years ago, bought, with case and bow at a pawn shop in Nevada for $125 when the going retail price for such was about 10x that amount.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings