G string recommendation?

October 29, 2018, 7:52 PM · Hi everyone,

I have a Gliga Gems 2 with pirastro tonica strings. The E, A and D strings all have very good sound. However the G string is very dull sounding.

Any string you would recommend to try? I was thinking of trying a dominant g sting...

I heard its fairly common to have a dull sounding g string / uneven strings on a violin, is this true?

It's a new violin (label reads 2018), will the sound even out with time/playing?

Replies (8)

October 29, 2018, 8:03 PM · I generally find the Tonica G to be dull, too, across different violins. I’ve always felt it’s a bit too high in tension for the rest of the set.

I tried a light tension Tonica G with the other Tonicas, but the tension felt and sounded too low in most cases, and they are being phased out, I believe.

If you don’t want to try another set, then a Dominant G might blend relatively well.

October 29, 2018, 8:08 PM · Do you have the original bridge on it?

Most of the Gliga bridges are poorly cut. When I had the one on mine redone awhile back there was an instant improvement in response across strings and tone. It also took the 'grainy' feeling out of it and made it much more clear.

You could try Warchal Brilliants - I've had good experiences with those + gliga.

October 29, 2018, 8:38 PM · I recommend adjustments to your bridge and soundpost. Then just get any higher tension G.
October 30, 2018, 1:04 AM · A gut G string works well with synthetic D. Pirastro Gold Label G might be the least expensive version.
October 30, 2018, 6:06 AM · Thanks everyone for your input : )
October 30, 2018, 8:12 PM · I actually tried a Eudoxa G with my other Tonicas, and the response of the G was very noticeably slow compared to the Tonicas. I could imagine Gold Label blending better.
Edited: October 31, 2018, 1:34 PM · My favourite gut G is the Pirastro Chorda. Not too expensive - on-line in the UK it is about £18 (just under $23USD) from thestringzone.co.uk. There is a choice of silver-plated or plain copper winding, the plain copper being intended tone-wise more for authentic period performance.
October 30, 2018, 10:38 PM · For me even the Eudoxa G (rigid) is responsive. Sometimes using a brilliant E that is not heavy tension *can* help. I have not used Tonica in some decades, though, so cannot help with G+Tonicas.

But yes, the Gold Label G is quite clear, loud, and responsive, though not as full sounding as the Eudoxa. They are all underrated by Pirastro themselves with the "value gut string" moniker.

The Tricolore G is quite excellent, but is peculiar in that it needs time to get to its true sound. If any of you ever try it, give it time to develop. Very articulate G, while retaining your instrument's warmth.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings