Next piece after Bach E major VC

October 27, 2018, 8:29 PM · I’d like to give my teacher some suggestions about pieces to play next. I just finished Bach E major VC for the second time ( polishing and cleaning things up). She always asks if I have any ideas of what I might want to play and if it’s out of my reach or I can’t think of anything she makes some suggestions. What are some good pieces to play next?

Replies (7)

October 27, 2018, 8:38 PM · Have you done Bruch Concerto (in g minor)? I think at this point it would be a good challenge. Or maybe something like Mozart Concerto No. 3 in G Major would be good for you.
October 27, 2018, 8:50 PM · Ive asked her about Bruch g minor and we both agree its out of my reach right now. I think I asked her about Mozart 3 a few months ago and I believe she said it's out of my reach right now as well.
October 27, 2018, 9:41 PM · Perhaps the Haydn G major concerto?
October 27, 2018, 10:41 PM · Kabalevsky?
October 28, 2018, 1:52 PM · I completely forgot about Haydn. And, to be honest, I've never heard Kabalevsky so I'll need to give it a listen!
October 28, 2018, 2:44 PM · The problem here is the abundance of choices. At least as soon as you look beyond the concerto repertoire. You could try a Beethoven sonata (except the two last ones). Or any of Bach's violin/"obbligato clavier" sonatas. Or a whole selection of Haydn or Mozart string quartet parts.

I never quite understand the focus on concertos in violin teaching. It seems to me that chamber music repertoire makes much more sense for amateurs who are the majority of students most teachers will teach. Anyhow if you want to try a Haydn concerto go for the C Major: it is a better composition than the G Major and a bit more challenging technically. The G Major concerto usually comes long before Bach E Major.

Edited: October 28, 2018, 6:40 PM · Haydn G Major is very good. If you have played Bach E Major, however, then I agree with Albrecht that the Haydn G Major is kind of a step down. But, it's a great piece and if it only takes you a few weeks to do it, then it's in your repertoire, and you will learn from doing it. I agree further with Albrecht that the Haydn C Major is worth considering, however in my own experience it is comparable in difficulty to Mozart G Major (comparing first movements). Also please consider the Beethoven Romances, as they are very good preparation for Mozart. My daughter found Kabalevsky just as hard as Mozart. She did a recording of the 2nd and 3rd movements of the Kabalevsky to include with her college application (engineering schools).

I think what you're seeing here is the biggest problem with your teacher having you pick your own progression of repertoire -- you're doing stuff in a very non-pedagogical order. I suggest you make a list of the next three concertos or big pieces that you should do next, and ask your teacher to do the same. Then reveal, compare, and discuss.

What other salon pieces have you done? Meditation? Weiniawki Romance? Drdla Souvenir? Kreisler pieces? Don't overlook these. They're very good for you. They're especially good for a student who is not trying to become a pro violinist because if you're only practicing, say, an hour or two a day, concertos can be a real grind. You can learn plenty from shorter pieces.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings