Don't throw out your gut G!

October 27, 2018, 12:26 PM · The gut core from a used gut G actually makes a really good E string, and it only takes a few moments to make one once you get the process down.

By hanging a weight from the G and cutting the winding at the end, you can easily unravel the whole string in about two minutes just by turning it at the top with your fingers. Obviously, this can destroy the twist of the gut, but the fun part about that is that you can make your own custom twist to make the string stiff or flexible. All you need to do is add oil, turn it, and hang it from someplace with a clamp attached to keep it from untwisting again. Then you leave it for a few hours and it's done!

Replies (8)

October 27, 2018, 1:28 PM · Better if you make a video showing the process. Would be really great.
October 27, 2018, 1:47 PM · Yed please show a video or pictures! Also, do you know approximately how many mm the resulting E string will be?
October 27, 2018, 2:21 PM · Depends on the thickness of the G and whether it has a silk wrap underneath, but the resulting string will be about 0.60 to 0.65 mm on average. A fairly heavy string.
October 28, 2018, 12:29 AM · Thats way to heavy for an e string, heavy even for an A string.
Edited: October 28, 2018, 12:31 AM · E string is about .33mm
October 28, 2018, 1:30 AM · 0.60-0.65mm is a heavy gauge E, according to Gamut: https://shop.gamutmusic.com/violin-gut-e-1/
0.33mm is not on the charts.
October 28, 2018, 2:14 AM · well i just got gut e string .013 i assume that is inches??
October 28, 2018, 6:32 AM · Well evidently my 13 is a pirastro gauge number, not inches

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings