crack in soundpost?

October 26, 2018, 6:50 PM · I haven't paid much attention to my soundpost before but recently a tiny woodchip fell out of my violin and I looked and there does appear to be a chunk of wood missing from my soundpost. not a lot, but it's still noticeable. is this a big problem and what should I do?

Replies (8)

October 26, 2018, 7:05 PM · There's a tool that luthiers use to set sound posts that leaves a little gash in the center. Watch a YouTube video to see what it looks like and if that's it. If the sound isn't affected, it's probably fine. You can always take it to a luthier for a quick check.
October 26, 2018, 8:16 PM · it's under the gash, and a piece of wood did fall out of my instrument
Edited: October 26, 2018, 8:36 PM · Possibly a small splinter that detached. As long as the post is still standing and the splinter is small this is not an emergency. You might notice a slight loss of openness or volume and if so get a new sound post, which would be optimal. On the other hand, if 1/2 the end of the post is gone, I'd definitely get a new one installed.
October 26, 2018, 9:20 PM · Get it replaced. Also, the origin of splinter might be elsewhere. I hope that you saved it for inspection.
October 27, 2018, 3:14 AM · Photos of both the splinter and the soundpost would be useful...
October 27, 2018, 7:17 PM · how long would it take to have a new sound post put in and would it be very expensive?
October 27, 2018, 8:18 PM · An experienced luthier can do it in a few hours and it should not be too expensive.
October 28, 2018, 11:22 AM · Maybe even faster, if you bring them fresh chocolate chip cookies. ;-)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings