Are there important G. Fauré pieces for violin?

Edited: October 24, 2018, 9:25 AM · Hi, just a quick question...

Are there famous pieces for violin composed by Gabriel Fauré?

Doesn't seem that important compared to Saint-Saëns and other romantic french composers, even if we don't just focus on violin repertoire.

Replies (18)

October 24, 2018, 8:17 AM · Not sure what you are planning to do.
Originally this was composed for cello, I think. But also great for violin and piano.
Fauré: Après un Rêve
October 24, 2018, 8:23 AM · The Berceuse, and the two violin sonatas.
Edited: October 24, 2018, 8:30 AM · Arranged from cello the Sicilienne is very charming like the Berceuse
October 24, 2018, 8:49 AM · The two violin sonatas are famous, and very beautiful. I played the Opus 13 sonata on my senior recital at Oberlin.
Edited: October 24, 2018, 9:26 AM · I'm not planning anything, hahaha, simple curiosity because I liked one piece of him I discovered recently, so may be I can find some violin jewels of him that are hidden from me now.
October 24, 2018, 9:28 AM · There are many composers who wrote very little, if anything, for the violin. Chopin, for example. Ripe opportunity for transcription.
October 24, 2018, 9:35 AM · Thank you, Paul, one must not forget that actually.

One question about the lullaby Berceuse... Is it considered a sonata?
Or a small sonata, which is a sonatina?

Since it's original for violin and piano, it surprised me that you separated it from "the other sonatas".

Edited: October 24, 2018, 10:41 AM · Mr. Ripond,

There's tons of composers, major and minor (Faure is definitely one of the "major" or better known ones) that I suggest you explore further, even when there are zero or scant recordings out there of the lesser known works. Following only concert hall trends one would almost not know music at all (not meant as a personal admonition-I need to explore more repertoire myself.)

We are lucky with Faure-the Berceuse is famous as are the Sonatas (well, not famous, but definitely not as obscure as say, Reger could be.) The Faure 1st is full of beauty from beginning to end, and both sonatas should be performed a bit more often.

No one cares about the violin-composers in our "modern" day of "serious music", but there's lot of wonderful inspiration to be found in them as well (and "serious" music is up to each listener to decide.)

I can always listen to Brahms Sonatas, as they are such great, moving works, but they are really "overplayed" everywhere. I believe the "lesser" Sonatas by "everyone" else are not as "less", and are worth exploring and playing, given the privilege.

Edit: Sorry to repeat what others had mentioned. Berceuse: just a short piece for violin and piano-no need for every work to be deemed Sonata/Sonatina just because of the format.

Happy exploring.

October 24, 2018, 1:53 PM · There's an early concerto movement, a theme of which he reused in his magnificent string quartet.
"Après un Rêve" was published as a song,and I think that's what it was originally.
The Sicilienne is part of Faure's incidental music to Pelléas and Mélisande, scored for orchestra.
An improvisatory organist I used to play with had his version of the Libera Me (from the Requiem) in his repertoire for weddings and funerals - I'm sure it could be arranged effectively for violin and piano. A piano and double bass jazz team I know perform their version of the Pavane (Masques et Bergamasques).
October 24, 2018, 2:57 PM · John, the Libera Me is a fantastic piece - His is my favorite Requiem by far.

The Romance (not to be confused with the Romance Sans Paroles) is also a fantastic piece. Faure didn't write much on a symphonic scale (He started on a violin concerto at one point, and finally used that material in his last piece - The string quartet). Faure also hated orchestrating pieces, and usually left it up to his students.

His strength is in his chamber music and in his songs. My favorite composer. Important is a weird way to phrase it - Different strokes for different folks. I would bet that the first Faure Sonata gets played more than the Saint Saens, although both are very beautiful.

October 24, 2018, 3:27 PM · Beautiful music aside, the text to Libera Me makes it a very strange choice for a wedding.
October 24, 2018, 3:47 PM · I don't know that any of the couples for whom Martin has played have chosen it - but it was on the list of pieces that he offered (He also sometimes played it as a voluntary).
October 24, 2018, 9:00 PM · A work for violin/piano is not a sonata. A sonata is a very specific sort of compositional form.

Speaking of the Faure Requiem, there's a beautiful accompaniment solo for the concertmaster in the Sanctus movement.

October 25, 2018, 5:20 AM · I really adore Faure's piano quartet #1 in c minor. Great writing for all the instruments there. It's one of my dreams to play it one day, I think it's a work of genius!
October 25, 2018, 11:10 AM · I have performed the complete cycle of works for violin and piano by Fauré several times as they work in one concert. In addition to the sonatas and the Berceuse, there are a couple of other short pieces including the Andante Op.75 and the Romance Op.28. There is also a very late gorgeous very short piece called "Morceau de lecture" that, if my understanding is correct was written for one of the exams at the Paris Conservatoire when Fauré was director.

The cool thing, is that done together, these works span almost Fauré's entire career and one can see the evolution of his musical language.

Cheers!

October 25, 2018, 2:09 PM · The Faurè piano trio is very beautiful.
October 25, 2018, 3:54 PM · IMSLP is your friend.

https://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Faur%C3%A9,_Gabriel

There are two violin sonatas (1st is easier to like than the 2nd), two lovely romances (not easy to play) and four valse-caprices -- lighter, single movement works.

The string quartet is a late work, it's almost a 20th century work, not lyrical at all, but if you're into late Faure ....

Maybe best stuff for a violin is the piano trio and piano quartets, which are all first rate. They do require a very good pianist to read them. the 2nd piano quartet is a real favorite piece of mine and doesn't get played enough.

Edited: November 16, 2018, 6:18 PM · Paul, in a pre Lloyd-Webber film version of Phantom of the Opera, the film makers set French words to some of Chopin's pieces and they were sung as opera arias. The "New Opera" was a similar adaptation of Tchaikovsky 4 (In the last movement, a bass or baritone sings the second subject to Russian words, and later, while the "fate" motive makes its appearance, the chandelier falls on the audience).

The first strain of the beautiful accompaniment solo for the concertmaster in the Sanctus movement of the Fauré Requiem that Lydia mentions is, in fact, a slight metamorphosis of the first strain of the Te Decet Hymnus - Read into that what you may!
The viola obligato in the Agnus Dei is also strikingly beautiful.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings