I fixed it, guys.

Edited: October 23, 2018, 6:18 PM · Remember that student-level violin my dad accidentally stripped with paint thinner? Well, here it is again, fully clothed once more:

https://imgur.com/a/KUqa6fz

Not perfect, but good enough for me.
It's annoying that this had to happen at all, but, you know what? I'm glad my dad ignored my advice, 'cos I learned a lot in revarnishing this instrument.

Also, d'you know a Chorda G with the winding taken off makes a better E string than the actual Chorda E? Who woulda thunk it?

Replies (10)

October 23, 2018, 7:05 PM · Cotton, that Chorda G idea is very interesting. I believe it is the breaking down of the interface between the winding and the core that determines when a string starts to lose its tone, so I'll try the "conversion" from the gut core of a Chorda G to a gut E string when the opportunity arises. There's nothing to lose (gut already pre-stretched, etc) and if it works well then it will be a useful way of recycling an old string; and the metal winding can also be recycled, as I think you've mentioned in another thread.
Edited: October 24, 2018, 2:52 PM · You know what they say, looks perfect from afar, but far from perfect... but I like your positive outlook. Would you mind sharing with us what you did?
October 24, 2018, 7:19 AM · Does your Mom know you are refinishing your violin in the kitchen? Is the mustard a secret ingredient? Nice job! Not an easy task.
Edited: October 24, 2018, 9:01 AM · The luthiers are gonna squirm with this one...
I kept the wax ground (which survived—no need to mess with it), and used red and brown oil-based stains from the hardware store to get the colour. Used a cloth to match the antiquing and then I did a few coats of shellac. Polished with toothpaste et voilà: an ok-looking fiddle.
October 24, 2018, 11:32 AM · Not just the luthiers.
October 24, 2018, 11:54 AM · If it works, it works.

The stains are mostly linseed oil, much like real instrument varnish. They're just a bit less transparent, but the original varnish isn't perfectly clear either.

October 24, 2018, 12:22 PM · happy halloween, y'all!
October 25, 2018, 8:58 AM · Be very careful with linseed oil. It is a known fire hazard, generating heat as it dries. If a used cloth with the oil still on it is thrown in the trash it will likely spontaneously ignite.
October 31, 2018, 12:57 PM · Nice job on that Cotton!

Trevor- Good to know.

November 1, 2018, 2:40 AM · 1:30ff for another risk.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fINh4SsOyBw

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings