Upgrading from $4 strings. What should I expect?

October 20, 2018, 11:17 AM · Violin-dedicated stores are almost non-existent in the country I live in. This means anything violin related— like strings and rosin from brands like Pirastro, Thomastik, Bernardel, etc.— are not available for the regular civilian. Though, we have this local brand called Bachendorff that sells rosin for like $1-3 and cheap metal strings for $4 a set, and I’ve used this all my life (terrible, i know)

However, I have found a trusted reseller of international branded violin accessories in the country’s capital and ordered Pirastro Tonica and Gustave Bernardel. The seller said his stocks would arrive by early November and he’ll ship me my order when he gets his hands on it.

Basically, I just wanted to ask how much of a difference in sound quality and how the strings feel under the fingers will I get, specifically? Also, how much of a difference will the Gustave Bernardel make?

Replies (4)

October 20, 2018, 2:25 PM · Probably a lot of difference but it depends on your violin.
October 20, 2018, 3:32 PM · Better strings will make a huge difference. Better rosin might or might not make much of a difference; it's an inexpensive product in general (with the exception of a very few brands, which might or might not be marginally better than the rest).
October 21, 2018, 5:43 AM · Thanks for the responses

How should it feel under the hand? Im having trouble with my current strings playing fifths on 5th position. Or is it generally uncomfortable to play fifths at the higher positions?

October 21, 2018, 10:31 AM · "Or is it generally uncomfortable to play fifths at the higher positions?"

That probably depends more on your level of playing and/or the bridge height. If you are just starting 5th position, then you need to give yourself comfortable. It take a while. And yes, 5ths are difficult in the higher positions.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings