Blending Rosins

October 19, 2018, 4:58 PM · I use Andrea solo viola and Bernadel light violin rosin. On fresh bow hair, which would you apply as a 'base'?

Replies (7)

October 19, 2018, 5:07 PM · I think you're overthinking things.
Edited: October 20, 2018, 11:37 AM · I don't know if this has any basis, but I think it relates to David's question: The new ANDREA Sanctus rosin cakes are fairly large and have a central core of softer rosin surrounded by an outer layer of harder rosin. The cakes are sold in 3 grades: violin, viola and cello. Supposedly they are put 2 hardnesses of rosin on the bow hair at the same time: obviously, harder first followed immediately by soft then hard again. This would give you ANDREA Symphony - ANDREA Solo - ANDREA Symphony.

You could get the same result with two separate cakes: 1-2-1. However, I'm not sure what that result is, but it doesn't hurt to try and find out with your rosin combo.

Once you get new hair rosined enough so that it grabs enough to play you will not get rid of ALL the rosin without some major solvents (more major than alcohol). An old, dry toothbrush will probably remove enough old rosin to get a fairly clean restart.

October 19, 2018, 8:23 PM · Some people use bass rosin lightly to get the hair to catch whatever lighter rosin they want to put on. This is especially common with synthetic bow hair, since it's less grabby than the real thing.

Me, I just leave it at the bass rosin.

October 19, 2018, 9:27 PM · Use whatever rosin you intend to use on the bow on a routine basis.
October 20, 2018, 9:28 AM · Thanks for your responses. As soon as I apply the second rosin, I accept that there will always be some sort of blend. I used the 'softer' rosin as a 'base' because the seasonal humidity is lowering. Perhaps the properties of rosins are close enough that it doesn't matter which is applied first. (Unlike ski wax)
October 20, 2018, 11:28 AM · I wonder if you could use a miniature vacuum cleaner, such as is used to clean motherboards and the like, to clear rosin dust from bow hairs.
October 20, 2018, 11:36 AM · A dry toothbrush and/or a microfiber cloth will do the job as well as anything short of liquid solvents and detergents. As I understand it there is a surface attraction of rosin to hair and string that would beat anything a vacuum (which is just wind or wind and brushing-if your vacuum had a brush) could do.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings