Water bottle on oblong violin case

October 17, 2018, 2:31 PM · Does anyone have suggestions for carrying a water bottle on an oblong case with cordura cover and full length music pocket?

Replies (38)

October 17, 2018, 3:05 PM · I would not be comfortable carrying any liquid whatsoever attached to my violin case.
October 17, 2018, 3:35 PM · Underneath! Way underneath!!
Edited: October 17, 2018, 4:02 PM · Step 1- drink the water
Step 2- flatten water bottle with both feet
Step 3- place empty flatten water bottle in music pocket

Note: It is recommended to carry music in separate pouch.

Option 2, get a water bottle carrying strap, and carry it on your shoulder.

October 17, 2018, 6:08 PM · Put it in the bag with your music stand and indoor shoes.
October 17, 2018, 8:07 PM · I'm guilty of clipping it to the shoulder strap so it hands down by the D ring.
October 17, 2018, 8:53 PM · How about this portable viking drinking horn?

https://www.amazon.com/Viking-Drinking-Horn-Medieval-Handcrafted/dp/B076HCFLC8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539827508&sr=8-1&keywords=drinking+horn+with+strap

It would help if you were playing Wagner once you arrive at rehearsal.

October 17, 2018, 9:24 PM · Not a fan of water near instruments. I won’t even allow a glass or bottle of water on my piano.

I do another hobby that requires a sewing machine, hence, electricty. I was at the sewing machine shop taking a lesson for a neat project. We all had our machines on the table and plugged in. My machine was brand new at the time and is very expensive.

People cannot go without having their water on that table. I was new to the group, as my machine was new. I questioned this practice. I do not have any water in bottles or otherwise on my sewing machine table at home, either. Wow! “We do it all the time” “We are careful” yadda yadda yadda.

Well, a very experienced and long time customer of the shop stood up. She did not put the cap back onto her bottle. Reached and tipped it over and guess where the water headed? You guessed it. Right to my machine. I grabbed my extra material that was not under my needle and quickly built a dam that quickly sprung a leak. I grabbed other material from people I did not know and who did not think to help, and made the dam better. Then I got up and went to the rest room, luckily right behind me, and grabbed about a roll of paper towels and sopped up the water.

The lady who spilled it? She did nothing. Picked her bottle up and put the lid on it. The people who owned the material I grabbed? Were not happy with me. I told them to speak to water bottle lady. I saved my very expensive machine.

Again, I mentioned that it is stupid to allow the liquid on the tables, keep them on the floor and reach down when you want them. Deaf ears,

A few weeks later. I was at a lesson. I was looking over at where the owner was because she was helping someone who had a issue I had, so I was listening. That same water bottle lady comes in. She has a cup of coffee with one of those plastic lids in her backpack. She leans over to see what the owner is doing. The lady who is being helped had a very very beautiful quilt she was working on in a cloth bag on the floor in front of water bottle lady. When water bottle lady bent down, the coffee cup was now upsidedown and leaked into the lady’s bag and spilled coffee all over her quilt! I saw it coming and got up and screamed (sort of) on my way to move the bag. I said, “Water bottle lady’s coffee is going...” too late, it hit the bag and destroyed that lovely quilt. I didn’t mean to call her water bottle lady, but I did not know her name and that is how I remembered her. The other lady was not happy and I don’t know how it was resolved. The quilt could not simply be replaced. The lady made it from scratch without a pattern. I have no idea what happened. She brought it in to show the owner and some friends.

Fast forward. I stayed away for a while. I needed supplies and went to the shop. There was just the owner and I. We had a talk. She was wondering where I have been. I told her I am not bringing my machine in for a class or anything I make in any more because the shop is too laxed as far as water and other liquids are concerned. She knew about the quilt, but not my machine fiasco with water bottle lady. She said she was going to change the rules and no longer allow liquids, except at the front snack table or floor for lessons.

My point? Accidents happen and the smallest accident can cause a LOT of damage. How much is it worth to have liquid around something that could be seriously damaged by the liquid.

You could get a belt loop carrier for the bottle.

This is just me, very inexperienced, but just my two cents to think about. Risk vs damage.

October 17, 2018, 9:42 PM · Water? Who drinks water?
Edited: October 17, 2018, 9:55 PM · If you must stay hydrated, a hydration bladder drinking for back pack may be an option:
https://www.amazon.ca/Hydration-Bladder-Drinking-Backpack-Reservoir/dp/B075BGFGCK/ref=asc_df_B075BGFGCK/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=293036632477&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4276345226862321423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000940&hvtargid=pla-492501970704&psc=1

Hope that it will fit inside the pocket!

October 17, 2018, 9:59 PM · Rocky,

I can't wait to take my soggy orchestral scores out and put them on my stand! For condensations sake don't do this!

Edited: October 17, 2018, 11:45 PM · "Does anyone have suggestions for carrying a scotch bottle on an oblong case with cordura cover and full length music pocket?" That's a question I wouldn't be in need for an answer, but I'd understand from a medical point of view. But I'll never understand why it seems impossible to so many adults nowadays to stay without their water bottle (ideally boosted with some esoteric crystal magic) for an hour or two. Be this permanent suckling a symptom of boredom or psychological regression and oral fixation - I'm not a psychologist and leave this decision to others. But as a MD I know there are only very few and very rare medical conditions which might excuse such a behavior - but these are very rare and do not explain the enormous number of - mostly female - adult sucklings you meet in any imaginable public situation nowadays. It's not age appropriate and ridiculous, and Cynthia gave us two perfect lessons about Murphy's law. It's not a question IF it will happen, but only WHEN.
Edited: October 18, 2018, 12:46 AM · To my knowledge, there are two case manufacturers who currently offer a small elongated zipper-closing Cordura bag that attaches to the case strap, safely away from the case. You can use it to store not only a half-liter water bottle but, alternatively, a folding music stand, a collapsible umbrella, a medium size Maglight, a plastic emergency rain cape…
October 18, 2018, 2:27 AM · Nuuska: I cheered at your post. Well said.

I have colleagues carrying their bottles from one desk to another and more obsessed about hydration than ultrarunners.

An app to remind you to drink water? For f****s sake.
Next, they will be carrying their own toilet paper and an app to remind them to poop.

Edited: October 18, 2018, 2:56 AM · I disagree, and find Nuuska's post questionable in both content and tone.

I always keep a half-liter bottle of water in my office, in my car, on my nightstand, whether I drink from them or not. If I feel the onset of a headache, I drink water and it tends to help.

And you know what? That's MY business only.

October 18, 2018, 3:01 AM · LOL I thought this thread sucked until I reached the end
October 18, 2018, 6:56 AM · @Nuuska my doctor wants me to drink upwards of a gallon of water a day. My solution is to drink water whenever I am in the car. I find that whenever I bring a bottle of water to an orchestra rehearsal, I don't get around to drinking it because I'm busy and because my hands are occupied by my violin. If I am going to a long rehearsal, I bring an *empty* pint bottle with me, and then I fill it at the rehearsal venue, during the break, and drink it all then.
October 18, 2018, 1:57 PM · Well Dimitri, this is not about insulting anyone who prefers to drink when feeling thirsty or preventing a headache or whatever. And where you place your water on your working place is completely up to you. Just allow me a few questions to check out if you're that kind of girl I'm talking about.

1. Is it a daily habit of yours to place your water next to electric tools, computers etc., important documents, sensible artwork not produced nor possessed by yourself?
2. Can you manage to get through a meeting of 30 minutes with no more than 250 ml of water and without a break at the bathroom?
3. Do you spend more then 10% if your daily working schedule on fluid intake or elimination?
4. Do you carry a nipple armed plastic bottle (preferably pink) with you wherever you go, even in public transport, and is it possible to talk to more than two sentences without having you engaged more with that damn bottle than with your dialogue partner?

If no-no-no-no then there's no need to be pissed at me. No diagnosis of drinking neurosis from my side.

Many of my patients suffer from recurrent kidney stones. An important (if not the most important) part of their metaphylaxis is keeping their fluid intake high. This doesn't mean that a judge has to suck a nippled plastic bottle during his trials. It doesn't mean that I have do drink while talking to my patients. And it doesn't mean that anybody has the right to risk someone else's health or belongings. It is stupid to provicate accidents like Cynthia's water bottle lady. Is it necessary to add a similar story involving an electron microscope worth 3.8 million euro bucks and a 380k repair. Stupid things happen if we act stupid. That's just the way it is.

October 18, 2018, 2:01 PM · Or, to put if different - what would you tell a customer who came into your shop and *ooops* poured his coffee into one of your newly made high end cases?
Edited: October 18, 2018, 3:09 PM · "Just allow me a few questions to check out if you're that kind of girl I'm talking about."

Quite honestly I happen to be a guy, with a beard no less. I know a few people, women especially, who can vouch for me on this, you can question them if necessary. Are you suggesting you know something my wife doesn't?

I really don't get you, Nuuska, with the pink nipples issue and whatnot but hey, what do I know? You're the doctor, I just make stupid violin cases. And if you pour coffee into one, oops, well you get to pay for it.

BTW, what are the "euro bucks" you mention? On my planet, we have euros (European currency units common to the 19 member countries of the EU integrated currency zone), and we have bucks (U.S. Dollars, called bucks because once upon a time a buckskin was worth 1 USD), but no hybrid "euro bucks" to my knowledge. Just curious, I've got some funds to invest if you recommend them. Are they some new Putin invention?

October 18, 2018, 5:45 PM · Forevermore, this thread will be known as the one with Nuuska and his fixation on pink nipples. LOL

In his defense (but only slightly), I have noticed a certain type of person that seems to be needing to have a water bottle next to them at every meeting, etc. Where my observation differs from Nuuska's is that the bottle seems to be more of a fashion accessory, as they never drink from it. I do teach in large classrooms and I find that the little lost-and-found table at the front of the room invariably will have three or four expensive-looking water bottles on it.

October 18, 2018, 5:54 PM · I wrote a short reply last week to a person and referred to him as a man but some others referred to her as a woman so I went back and deleted the post and hope that I did not offend her. Some names can be quite hard to tell but I did know just one Dimitri in my class a long time ago and he was from Greece.
October 18, 2018, 6:30 PM · Well, there was Demetrius of Thessaloniki (aka St. Dimitri) and Dmitry Shostakovich. They were both dudes, too, so ...
Edited: October 18, 2018, 9:17 PM · I believe that Nuuska is describing a colleague at work and the reason for the irritation towards the habit of carrying the bottle around.
I also have examples similar to that. Colleagues that can't go from one desk to another without carrying the bottle, as if they were crossing the Sahara.
Or that come to talk to you with the bottle drinking it constantly during the conversation (which I think it's rude).

I drink more water than average. More than 5 liters. (I do marathons so I run daily, in a tropical country, so I need to replenish during the day. ) But I don't and never have carried a bottle to drink it during the day. There are 3 meals a day, 2 short breaks at work, and several other moments when its the right place and time to drink a glass (do people remember what's a glass) of water. And they add up to those 5 liters. Which is what humans have been doing before this fad of carrying bottles around.
Anyone can and may do whatever they want, but I think there is a very basic social rule: Don't let your habits be an inconvenience to others. And at work, bottlesuckers like Nuuska describes, are a nuisance and, if there is expensive electrical equipment, a danger. As described by other posters.
Dmitri: You are your own boss. Your house, your rules. But for employees and among coworkers, there should be work ettiquette, and I think that habit breaks it.
That's my opinion. Others will think differently.

October 18, 2018, 10:07 PM · I spend most of every workday on the phone with clients and colleagues, and I drink water pretty much constantly to avoid becoming hoarse. Ditto when I'm in in-person meetings.
Edited: October 19, 2018, 12:23 AM · Carlos, our situation seems to be quite similar as are our habits, except that I moved back to moderate climate a few years ago - thank goodness. I'm very glad that someone gets my point. And I wouldn't care and let it get away with a single joke if it was one specific colleague, but among certain professions in my business (especially secretaries) it has become a wide spread fashion. Not the bottle alone, but also the inappropriate use of it.

Dimitri, I do not intend to put your sexual differentiation in doubt. But maybe you will allow me this little piece of cynism, since I've never ever met a male acting as described. If not then I apologize. This isn't sexism, just a simple observation. And the way you would treat your coffee pouring client shows me that we do agree on the basic things about these topic. Risky is risky, stupid is stupid, and if someone causes damage then he or she should bear the consequences on his own. Unfortunately there are damages that can hardly be compensated with money and effort. If it's a beautiful (and not stupid) fine new case by a living maker, it can be rebuilt. The damage to an antique fine violin or anything else of unique character or limited edition may not be irreparable, but things already look differently here. The microscope was well insured, but how to compensate the delay in diagnosis for patients (2 months!) or the cost for delay in a running research project? The PhD who had trouble to adhere with his deadlines and threw in innumerable night shifts? Or my lawyer's client (the lawyer being another stone patient of mine) whose important documents got crumpled and partly ruined completely by a simple glass of water poured over the office desk by a careless arm movement caused by a long and urgently expected phone call? (He definitely stopped having the water on his table since.)

Lydia, the social etiquette on the phone is different from if we talk to someone in person. I've never been annoyed during a phone call if my dialog partner was chewing, silently yawning, picking his nose or ears, being sloppily dressed, or anything else that would not be regarded as appropriate in an official meeting but wasn't detectable with our ears. And from all I know of you I'm two hundred percent sure of your your education and social skills. It's clever to to drink a sip from time to time if you need to talk a lot. People do it when holding a speech or lecture, as do I. I do not do it when I'm in the OR, and there are pretty good reasons why this behavior would be banned in there! *lol*

Thus said, there will be situations when an extra storage option for water or whatever else may objectively appear useful, especially when carryon the case as a backpack and riding a bike. In this situation Dimitri's suggestion could work very well, and the risk is marginal since the outer surface of a violin cases us designed to deal with some fluid.

Edited: October 19, 2018, 3:17 AM · This thread is fascinating. It clearly exemplifies the growth of emerging properties in thought form.

Someone starts out asking where to put a water bottle, and we get to where a poster questions a third poster's virility. How and where will this thread end? Likely, with U.S. mid-term elections around the corner, someone will bring up politics and Laurie will pull the plug.

I hope not immediately, because my older daughter is looking for a subject for her thesis for her degree in psychology, and I want her to read this!

That said, it appears from especially Nuuska's and Carlos's observation that there is indeed some kind of bottle worship at large, of which I was unaware, so I find it all quite interesting.

Edited: October 19, 2018, 1:33 AM · RE the oops coffee spill scenario, Nuuska, it has just been brought to my attention that the smell of coffee confounds the olfactory senses of drug-detecting canines in airports, reason for which some drug runners pack their "stuff" along with coffee.

So there might actually be a niche market for a case in which coffee has been spilled! ;-)

October 19, 2018, 6:46 AM · I'm suddenly reminded of the funny stuff during the 2016 elections in which candidates for the leadership of the free world needled one another over their consumption of water during debates, press conferences, and the like. For better or for worse, having water to sip all the time has become part of who we are as people. Probably that's better for everyone's kidneys, although the local hospital's ER nurse told me they still deal with several cases of obstructing kidney stones every day. Meanwhile there is a shortage of surgeons trained to perform ureteroscopic laser lithotripsy. Partly because the procedure is so lucrative that they can retire at 50.
Edited: October 19, 2018, 8:16 AM · Wow… even Stradivari didn't retire until he was 92!
October 19, 2018, 8:12 AM · I swim Masters in the morning three times per week before getting to work and it seems to take me several hours to rehydrate properly. I have a mug of water at my desk. I confess I've been known to knock it over and spill it on the keyboard. I've ruined a couple of 10 dollar keyboards, and now I keep one from home in my desk, so I don't lose time waiting for PC Help to bring a new one. A pink-nippled bottle would probably solve this problem, but they are impossible to clean properly.
I rarely bring water to a meeting, but if I know I'll be annoyed or sleepy because of the interpersonal dynamics or lack of getting anything done, I'll bring something tasty or caffeinated in a mug. Oral gratification then takes the place of real accomplishment. But the drink saves my mood, so I think everyone benefits.
Edited: October 20, 2018, 7:48 AM · With the original question in mind, I assume that traditional round water bottles, perhaps with questionably reliable tops, may have been difficult or risky to carry in the music pocket. If this is the case, then I’d highly recommend a Memo Bottle (https://www.memobottle.com.au/). Their bottles are specifically designed for fitting into laptop bags or briefcases. They are flat, very sturdy, have very high quality screw top lids and I have no qualms carrying one in my work bag alongside a laptop and iPad. It should fit in a music pocket without any problems.
October 20, 2018, 9:24 AM · Does anyone have a method of carrying their Soda Stream maker on or around their case? I drink a lot of it, so I also need to carry a spare cylinder.
October 20, 2018, 9:36 AM · Thank you all for your responses, even the humourous pink nipple conniption.
October 20, 2018, 11:30 AM · You are welcome, David. You have a great sense of humor and appreciation.
October 21, 2018, 7:55 AM · I go to a local spring to get my drinking water because it tastes better than chlorinated city supplied water and I think it likely that there is less pollutants in it. Everywhere I go I bring my 30 oz stainless steel travel mug of coffee or quart Gatorade plastic bottle of spring water. Besides using water which is probably better healthwise for me I am drastically reducing what is tossed back in the landfill. The only place that would not let me have my travel mug was the funeral home where my father was and they said that it was a state law that no food or beverages where allowed to be brought into a funeral parlor.

I sweat a lot and if I do not drink enough water and use a lot of sea salt I get random cramps in my hands or any other muscle in my body. Hand cramps happen suddenly and have caused me to drop the bow several times so now I use mostly an unbreakable carbon fiber bow.

When I play with others such as in a bar or house jam I just carry my case in one hand and water bottle in the other.

October 21, 2018, 9:39 AM · I hear you on the sweating, cramping, taste and plastics. Sorry about your dad.
October 22, 2018, 10:58 PM · Dimitri, and everyone, forget spilling coffee - or anything else - in a case, to disguise illegal stuff. Those sniffer dogs are far too good to be fooled. Smugglers offer prices on the heads of the best ones that would purchase a very fine violin, or a large collection of your beautiful cases! Maybe not an antique case made by Stradivarius.

I did once have a young friend who enjoyed accusing me of carrying a gun, not a violin, in my very ordinary case. A dog trained to detect firearms could find that too! Merely a walk by would be all that the dog and handler needed. I don't think gangsters conceal guns in violin cases any more.

In my world, liquids are never allowed near anything that they could damage.

October 23, 2018, 4:13 AM · Welcome to the site Marion!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings