Thomastik Vision Solo vs Vision Titanaium Solo vs PI

October 15, 2018, 11:06 PM · Hi so my current setup is vision solo GDA with pi e. Just wondering how the titanium solo and the pi compare to the vision solo in terms of projection, tension, warmth and richness. Other strings I've used in the past are dominant and Evah Pirazzi. I'm only really concerned with GDA. Thanks

Replies (7)

Edited: October 15, 2018, 11:24 PM · I've used the PI Pt E with A-D-G sets of PI, Vision Solo and Evah Pirazzi Gold. I preferred the Vision Solo to the PI, but I think I got richer tone with EP Gold. I had previously used Vision Ti Solo and then Vision Solo without the PI-E and preferred the Vision Solo. Right now I've just installed Warchal Timbre but still have the PI-E on. I may check out a Warchal E in a few days. The Timbres play very clean 2-octave scales up each string. All of this is on just one of my violins - but over at least the past 10 years so comparisons are difficult except as stated. The violin is a hand-made Strad copy that probably compares to a pre-1700 Strad (at least my one experience playing both in the same room 15 years ago).

(MSM pre-Jr High 1944 - 1946)!

October 16, 2018, 7:34 AM · Andrew, I highly recommend the Warchal E! The unique coil in it gives it such a warm sound that projects so well! I was in love with my Amber E, an so far, I really like the Timbre E too (even though I just put them on last night). If your instrument requires more sound, the Amber Forte E is great! Same warmth and stability with no whistling, but it projects more than the Amber. It's gorgeous up in the high register!
Edited: October 16, 2018, 9:33 AM · Not a good objective review, but I found the vision solo an almost perfect set of strings in terms of balance of qualities. Color, response, timbre... I call them the goldilocks strings.
The Titanium traded that balance for an oomf in higher frequencies and in my case, the trade was not worthy.
I also don't like to mix Thomastik with Warchal, because I think they have very different "voice". Warchal has a very clean and pure sound, whilst Thomastik goes for more spice.
October 16, 2018, 10:48 AM · My experience with vision solo vs titanium solo is summed up by Carlos response.
October 16, 2018, 1:39 PM · So what qualities do you feel are sacrificed for brilliance in the titanium?
October 16, 2018, 3:18 PM · I also love Ti vision solos. Really balanced set.
November 8, 2018, 11:02 PM · Second on the Warchal e string! I just ordered the Avantgarde A totry.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings