Looks like this tough sell just got a lot tougher...

Edited: October 14, 2018, 8:41 PM · So, I mentioned that one student instrument we've all got sitting in the basement nobody wants to buy.
I actually know somebody who is looking for a step up from their Ukrainian VSO shoebox violin who is willing to buy mine!
Or, would have been.
Somewhere along the line, someone dripped something or another on my violin that melted the varnish and there was a spot on the back that was real rough and lighter in colour. I did some light sanding and polishing to take the roughness off, but generally left it alone because varnishes scare me. Today, though, my dad decided he'd fix it...
I figured he knew what he was doing, since he has a fair bit of experience in woodworking. I also made sure to tell him to test everything he wants to use under the chinrest and not to go anywhere near the darn thing with solvents, because it has (had) a spirit varnish.

Well, I went away to make dinner, and, an hour later, I came back to THIS:

http://imgur.com/a/haMeStT

Yikes!!!

Looks like he ignored everything I told him.
Should have listened to my high school band teachers when they said not to let anyone touch my stuff under any circumstances!

On the bright side, I can try my hand in varnishing now that it's already ruined :)

Replies (3)

October 14, 2018, 10:18 PM · I'm sorry for your loss.
October 14, 2018, 10:54 PM · I recently had a well-meaning father who also has wood working experience "repair" the sound post crack in the top if the family violin.

$3500 instrument ruined.

October 14, 2018, 11:34 PM · And what did he do exactly?

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings