What to do with old guts?

October 13, 2018, 3:07 PM · I have some guts lying around that have gone so false and frayed so much, it wouldn't even be worth putting them on my backup fiddle (that even half decent student instrument we all have sitting down in the basement because nobody wants to buy it on Ebay).
I was thinking I could melt down the silver winding on my Gs so that—maybe in 50 years or so—I'll have enough to forge myself a nice silver ring. As for the other strings without windings, though, I have no idea what to do with them. Seems like a bit of a waste to just throw 'em out, considering a sheep died for me to have the luxury of playing them, and they're hella pricey, too.

Replies (17)

October 13, 2018, 3:47 PM · If you garden, or know a gardener, the old gut strings can be used to support plants etc. But it's a good idea to remove the metal windings first - the metal is recyclable, as you've suggested.
October 13, 2018, 3:57 PM · Colonoscopy?
October 13, 2018, 4:08 PM · Cook them!! they make a great noodle dish!!
October 13, 2018, 6:43 PM · Ungulate Udon. Yummy.
October 13, 2018, 7:01 PM · Give them to a vegan.
October 13, 2018, 9:58 PM · I use the fat ones to tie frets on my bass viol.
October 13, 2018, 10:29 PM · Give them to gamba players to make fresh frets
October 14, 2018, 1:25 PM · Throw them in the pot when cooking instant noodles.
October 14, 2018, 1:34 PM · The thing is, they unravel and go all stringy. Hell to get them out of your teeth later.
October 14, 2018, 2:03 PM · "Seems like a bit of a waste to just throw 'em out, considering a sheep died for me to have the luxury of playing them, and they're hella pricey, too."

Cotton, sheep are slaughtered for other reasons. Gut strings are a sideline, making use of what would otherwise probably we waste.

The price thing? That's mostly the expense of turning the raw materials into strings, not so much the cost of raw materials. But if you can figure out decent ways of recycling or re-using anything, hat's off to ya.

October 14, 2018, 5:44 PM · "they're hella pricey"

I see we have a californian on our hands, here.

October 14, 2018, 6:25 PM · The same companies that buy dental gold may buy string winding, given the platinum, gold, silver winding on them. I keep all my old strings for now. Hell man, It's like $75 for an Oliv G string.
October 14, 2018, 8:30 PM · A Californian?

Actually a Pole living in Kanuckistan, but hokay.

October 15, 2018, 3:50 AM · I find them excellent for garroting.

The scream comes out with amazing colors and projection.

October 15, 2018, 7:41 AM · @David "the expense of turning the raw materials into strings" includes the less obvious costs of marketing & R&D (which may include patent attorneys' fees at home and abroad).
Edited: October 17, 2018, 7:21 AM · The wrap spinning of my wound gut strings is made out of copper or silver-plated copper wire. I use these wires of my old strings for connecting circuit components when soldering electronic circuits. There are approximately about 32 ft of wire on each string and the quality of the soldering wire you can buy for that purpose is not always equal or better.
These wires can also be useful when it's necessary to wind an inductor with an unusual value of inductance that isn't commercially available.

The stripped gut strings can be used as a heavy duty thread for many purposes. These old gut strings are more durable than any thread/string made out of hemp or synthetics that you can buy.

Some women around me sometimes ask me for one or two of my old strings for tinkering necklaces or wristbands.

Btw, as a natural scientist I'm by an now confronted with technical problems caused by the vigorous risen prices for rare metalls in the last decades. Meanwhile our daily life depends heavily on materials like e.g. gold, platinum, titanium. So we always have to remind ourselfs of the fact that natural resources for these are confined, that it's on to our own responsibility to use and reuse things as much as possible and not only rely on dubious private or governmental organisations that claim to take care of the recycling.

You've done a good job with your question, Cotton!

A very nice day to all of you!

October 18, 2018, 6:59 PM · I think this whole thing is offal.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings