Unravelling A

October 12, 2018, 9:01 PM · I just had to replace my Warchal Amber A after 2 months because it started to unravel roughly at the D position. I've had this problem several times with the Dominant A and always in roughly the same spot. I believe I had the same problem with Pirastro Evah Pirazzi A strings. I didn't have the problem with Olives or Eudoxas. So I am thinking that maybe I am doing something, the way I shift to second and third position might have something to do with it. Any diagnoses?

Replies (6)

October 12, 2018, 9:31 PM · How many hours daily? Most of the modern strings do not last more than 200 hours.
October 13, 2018, 12:08 AM · That's the exact spot where strings first start to unravel for almost everyone. It's the most-used point on the string.
October 13, 2018, 11:44 AM · Part of that is because the winding is probably aluminum, a soft metal. And maybe friction; do you hold the string down to the wood when shifting positions, or release the pressure when moving. I tried the Warchal steel "Russian" A for the first time just last night - very promising.
October 13, 2018, 12:37 PM · Or replace the wound A with a plain gut A. No aluminum winding to wear out so it will last longer, and give a better sound.
October 13, 2018, 1:27 PM · Funny my Tonica A string is also unravelling at the D fingering location!
October 14, 2018, 8:25 AM · What about checking the state of your fingernails. Are they trimmed closely enough?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings