Jade l'Opera Rosin

October 11, 2018, 7:55 AM · I can't understand why so many people rave about Jade rosin.
Sure, it's nice compared with beginner's rosin, but I think it is over-rated.
What do you think?

Replies (13)

October 11, 2018, 8:40 AM · Lots of good rosins out there. I haven’t seen a lot of raving about Jade here on Vcom. The raving is usually reserved for Bakers, or Liebzeller gold dust extra fancy. Stuff like that. For a while, Andrea was all the rage, but that seems to have died down as well.
If Jade doesn’t do it for you, try something else. I happen to like the price/performance ratio I get from Magic rosin. But that’s just me.
October 11, 2018, 10:10 AM · Jade has the advantage of being an excellent rosin for only about $10. I like it a lot, and it used to be my regular rosin.

However, everyone is different. Bow hair, strings, and the interaction of player/bow/violin, along with the sound that you want, will affect what you like.

October 11, 2018, 11:11 AM · Everyone raves about whatever new, expensive, fancy rosin comes onto the market. The grass is always greener on the other side—the other side, in this case, being the opposite end of a $40 purchase.
Me, I have a cake of Kaplan dark and a cake of Pop's bass rosin. Works fine. No need for gold flakes or "purified" tree saps.
October 11, 2018, 11:28 AM · I personally prefer Tinkerbell's Golden Flying Dust rosin. Come on, unless there's a huge difference between one rosin and another, you won't be able to tell ever what rosin are you using. Blind test 5 rosins 10 times consecutively and you will end up saying many times the same rosin is 3 different ones.
October 11, 2018, 11:59 AM · I got a cake of Jade rosin some months ago.
I tried to use it on a pair of bows.

I did not like it. For me, sound was less warm and with less focus than before (i usually use Bernardel).
The bow was more slippery.....

I recently gave it to a friend.

October 11, 2018, 1:57 PM · Marco, are they still your friend?
October 11, 2018, 5:33 PM · Ahahahahah :D
No! :D
October 12, 2018, 12:39 PM · I buy rosin for various whimsical reasons and chose Jade because of its green color and used it for several years. I ordered Bakers because of all the hype and used that one for several years. I also bought Liebenzeller with meteorites in it and used that for several years as well. Is their really ground up meteorites in it I wonder, but it is a good product.
Edited: October 12, 2018, 12:59 PM · I really liked Liebenzeller during the years I used it (mostly first half (so far) of this century). I actually had copper, silver, gold and the meteoreizen-loaded mostly all III-hardness for cello. My favorite was a choice between the gold and the meteoreizen, both had a good grip, but both would get a little sticky after 90 minutes of playing. The silver made sounds too "peaky" for my ears (even as they were failing) and the copper (that was gifted to me as a sample by Ellen Gunst of cellos2go.com) was too soft-sounding - but an excellent choice for beginners (in a way) because it was very forgiving of bad (crooked) bowing.

My first exposure to Liebenzeller was a cake of gold-I that I bought in Bethesda. MD in the late 1960s during a business trip to DC. I found it useless - like trying to rosin with a stone and I never realized it was Liebenseller until 20 years ago when I began to try different rosins - but never again a Liebenzeller-I.

October 12, 2018, 4:28 PM · If it sounds good (yes, they do sound different) and plays well on your bow and string set up (yes, that can vary too), then go with it.
THAT should be your criteria period, end of sentence, done.
October 14, 2018, 9:12 AM · I keep Jade around because years ago I had a student who was allergic to rosin. We tried several kinds, even some that were supposed to be hypoallergenic. The Jade worked for that student.
October 16, 2018, 11:25 AM · I use Jade. I previously used Hill dark, and before that, Gustave Bernardel. I tried the Jade on a whim one day because my teacher had it, not really expecting anything, and both she and I were quite surprised at how much it improved the tone I was able to get out of my violin. Obviously not as much as, say, a different set of strings, but it was very noticeable, enough so that after I gotmy own cake, several people who didn't know I'd switched rosin later commented that that I was sounding better. Can't say how it would work for anyone else, but for my particular bow/violin/string set up, it's been awesome (and it's only $10.)
October 16, 2018, 12:11 PM · I use Millant Deroux rosin. Anybody else using that?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings