Crab crawler bow exercise and the Russian grip

October 10, 2018, 9:37 PM · I just saw the blog post about the crab crawler exercise, but comments have been turned off on the thread.

I'm currently using the russian bow grip. I was taught this crab crawler exercise, or something like it, before I ever used the russian grip. Will this exercise still help even though I use the Russian grip?

Replies (8)

October 10, 2018, 10:12 PM · You mean this? - LINK

If you're referencing something, it's super handy to put in what you're talking about.

October 10, 2018, 10:28 PM · Yes, that. Sorry. Didn't think. Paul Stein's post.
October 11, 2018, 8:27 AM · Hi David,

I used something like the Russian hold as a student, thoroughly studied the Franco-Belgian with my last teacher decades ago, and have been back to experimenting with it again, mostly for playing in soft dynamics.

I don't think it will help with the Russian hold, where the fingers work more together and in parallel. Some variants of the FB require much more independence of the fingers and so it might be more useful there. Although I did the crawler as a child, I'm not sure it's directly helpful with bowing so much as it is a fun exercise to train some mobility and awareness of independent and cooperative movement of the fingers.

Anything specific you're interested in developing?

Edited: October 11, 2018, 1:25 PM · Interested in not locking my fingers when playing, but keeping some looseness.
October 11, 2018, 8:43 AM · Can you explain more what you mean by 'locking?' Stability? Do your fingers keep slipping? Etc.
October 11, 2018, 9:23 AM · No. Thumb locking instead of providing some suspension in the grip.
October 11, 2018, 9:32 AM · According to my friend who uses the Russian bow hold, those exercises don’t affect Russian bow hold

He has a video (i think the only in deptyh one) on the bow hold on youtube

https://youtu.be/AEKbVVZjMm0

You could message him too, he’s very friendly. He teaches at Codarts in Rotterdam alongside the Gruppmans who are the biggest sticklers of the Russian hold.

Edited: October 12, 2018, 8:46 AM · Thanks for the reference to Gruppman, Denis. Great player. His bowing looks more like Flesch's version of the Russian hold (at least what you can deduce from pictures.) The more I use it, the more I realize how old stereotypes (e.g. too high elbow, embedded sound in certain kinds of bowing, lack of control at the frog) are simply untrue.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay