Velcro violin neck restraint wearing out on case

October 10, 2018, 12:27 PM · Any advice for repairing the velcro neck restraint in my case? It seems wasteful to get rid of the case because of this tiny tear. I'm good with a needle and thread...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VdMbB97Jfb_ta_vpTmKqjc1SkNAiH3qX/view?usp=sharing

Replies (13)

Edited: October 11, 2018, 12:36 AM · Hmmm...at first I thought you meant the velcro was wearing out, which would have been an easier fix than this. That's a hard one. It's hard to see exactly what is going on, too.

Is it that the fabric itself is shredding, or that the loops of thread attaching the strap to the case liner is starting to break and the strap is coming away.

If it's the latter, I'd say pull the remaining threads tight, maybe tie a knot somehow, and then add some more loops of thread through the strap and through the liner.

If the fabric on the liner is shredding, I wouldn't know an easy way to fix that. If the fabric on the strap is shredding, make a new strap, and then loop some threads through the strap and liner. To go through the liner, since it likely has a hard backing to it, you might possibly want to use a curved needle.

Here's an idea:
If the fabric is shredding, and since the force seems to be pulling upward on that strap, you could make a new, longer strap, and then sew it to the liner down in that notch where the neck goes. That way, it would have more hold, and less likelihood of the forces pulling it apart.

Sorry I can't be more help. If something I've said is unclear, I'll try to restate. Might help to explain exactly what is torn, since between the shininess of the fabric, and because everything is the same color nearly, my eyes are confused.

October 11, 2018, 7:14 AM · I've replaced the Velcro strips (male & female) on a number of things (even my shoes) using both self-stick Velcro and also using super-glue to fasten the Velcro strips - that should be no problem.

If your straps are worn you could replace them with Velcro strips that can come in various colors.

When I was growing up even our leather-covered violin cases did not have any way to hold down the neck.

Of course - if you were looking to buy a new case, now you have an excuse!

October 11, 2018, 7:23 AM · I'd staple some velcro to the vertical bits of the case under the neck. That's the best description I can come up with, and I suspect describing any solution is going to be harder than devising it!
Edited: October 12, 2018, 5:15 PM · I would go with Andrew’s suggestions. Adhesives would be more secure on fabric than staples and less likely to scratch anything.
I have rebuilt and retrofitted some cases.
October 12, 2018, 5:22 PM · My velcro is crapping out too. I'm going to cut them out and replace with leather tie.
Edited: October 12, 2018, 5:24 PM · I hear supermagnets are hot now. (neodymium)
October 12, 2018, 11:26 PM · I think magnets demagnetify when you heat them.
October 13, 2018, 8:28 AM · Only if combined with being bothered
October 13, 2018, 9:25 AM · David, a colleague who knows stuff told me that they can tell a lot about a house fire by inspecting magnets like the one that holds the fridge closed.
October 13, 2018, 10:29 AM · Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. David, it's the fabric on the strap that's shredding. I'm not sure what you mean by "liner." The velvet lining the case is fine, the stickiness of the Velcro is fine, but it's useless if the strap tears off.

Paul, how do you intend to attach the leather? Staples could potentially scratch something. I worry about adhesives melting, running, getting sticky, etc.

Edited: October 13, 2018, 3:20 PM · Liner = velvet lining.
Edited: October 13, 2018, 3:29 PM · Make a new strap. And you want the strap to shred before you want that velvet lining to shred so maybe choose your fabric accordingly. Probably need to go to a very knowledgeable fabric store, which leaves out JoAnns, unless you’re really lucky.
October 14, 2018, 7:16 AM · This is precisely the reason I get cases with leather restraining straps. They are much longer lasting.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings