TARISIO AUCTIONS is offering for sale a rare Italian baroque case!

Edited: October 10, 2018, 8:35 AM · From Tarisio Auctions (London venue) arrives this rare opportunity to own an 18th century Italian case for two violins, with possible ties to the workshop of Antonio Stradivari. Certificate of authenticity provided (and you can read it on their website).

It’s not every day that such cases become available for purchase. The total number of all baroque-era cases currently catalogued by expert Dr. Glenn P. Wood is currently around 50 examples world-wide, between museums and private collections, making this one of certain interest for collectos.

Estimate is £10,000 – 15,000. Bidding opens Oct 16, 2018 11:00 AM BST, ending: Oct 29, 2018 12:03 PM GMT. Disclaimer: we are not the sellers of this case.

You can look up Lot 4 at the London auction via the website www.tarisio.com

Replies (13)

October 10, 2018, 8:38 AM · If it had been for viola and violin, I might have put in a bid of £200.
October 12, 2018, 12:52 PM · Looks like a casket for dead violins. I'm sure some collector will buy it for Halloween.
October 12, 2018, 12:54 PM · Where are the detachable pockets?
Edited: October 12, 2018, 3:50 PM · Certified for carry-on luggage?
October 13, 2018, 6:36 PM · This is very interesting. There are tools and plans for case making in the papers of Strad's shop in Cremona's Museum, so that it is highly probable that Stradivari furnished his violins with cases, and many of them were delivered in pairs.

Marquis Carbonelli was contemporary to Stradivari, he was a Stradivari client, he comissioned instruments from Cremona, Venice and Mantova. He had instruments sufficient to a small orchestra. His inventory was made in 1740. It seems the decorated violin known as "The Rode" was made for him. The inventory lists 22 precious violins, 8 violas (including Gambas, that is, viols), 3 celli, clavicembali, etc.

The descriptions are like this:

"two violins by Signor Antonio Stradivario Cremonese, one of the year 1723, and the other of 1726, with their double case covered in yellow Moroccan leather with brass latches, marked number 1.

"two violins with theis case covered in read leather, one by antonio and Girolamo Brothers Amati of the year 1614 and the other by Nicolò Amati of 1643,

"Two violins in a case covered in red leather, one by Antonio Stradivario...

"Two violins in a case covered in black leather, one by Antonio Stradivari...

"Two violins in a case covered in red leather with brass latches, boty by Nicolò Amati...,

Two violins in a rose colored case, one by Antonio Stradivari of 1702 and the other by Pietro Guarneri of said year 1702...

two violins in a case lateched with brass, covered in red leather, both by Stradivari,

A violin by Stradivari of the year 1715, with its case covered in black leather, with brass latches,

Two violins, one by Stradivari... in a case covered in yellow leather

The text in Italian mentions "due violini del Sig. lAntonio Stradivario Cremonese, uno dell'anno 1723 e l'atro del 1726, con sua Casseta da due violini....

The description "con sua Casseta da due violini" (with its double violin case) may indicate that the two violins belonged to that case, this is one of the possibilities of the translation of "con sua casseta". Other instruments are not mentioned with "sua casseta", indicating, perhaps, that they had a "different" case.

Other violin is again described as

"A violin by Stradivari of the year 1715 with its case coverd in black leather with brass latches...". In other ocasions instruments are mentioned "in a case", instead of "its case". This inventory is in the book THE STRAD LEGACY.

October 14, 2018, 11:56 AM · Thank you Luis, this is precious information for many! :-)
October 14, 2018, 5:52 PM · It looks used.
October 15, 2018, 11:28 AM · David, good observation, since the case is probably at least 250 years old.
Edited: October 15, 2018, 3:05 PM · Is there a restocking fee if I don’t like it? ( hint Dimitri: I’m pulling your leg, as were a few others).
Edited: October 15, 2018, 1:26 PM · I could buy a reasonable practice violin at my local violin shop for £10,000 ;)
Edited: October 16, 2018, 1:31 AM · David, I'm afraid Tarisio does not offer returns on their sales, but an eventual unsatisfied buyer can always get in touch with the manufacturer for servicing or a trade-in. I understand Antonio is fairly easy to contact (by séance, he doesn't do email any more since he retired a few years back, in 1737), in fact he's pretty much in demand, especially for authentications although he no longer provides written certificates.

There's a lady in Brooklyn who is in touch with him a lot, but I can't remember her name offhand, it's Madame something...

October 16, 2018, 3:06 AM · I think I know the woman. VERY short, was in prison for a while, but escaped. Police bulletins at the time said "Small medium at large."
October 16, 2018, 3:52 AM · Haha :-) !! Good one!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings