Suggetion to avoid crossing hair doing bow rehair

October 10, 2018, 5:05 AM · Started to rehair violin bow myself after watching many youtube "How to rehair violin bow tutorials" and so far the most difficult to me is to avoid crossing hair after everything is done.

Just trying my luck if i can get one or two suggestion about it here.

Thanks first.

Replies (5)

October 10, 2018, 6:15 AM · Make a bow jig *first*.
October 10, 2018, 6:41 AM · Do an apprenticeship, like most of us did in the violin business!!
Edited: October 10, 2018, 7:39 AM · Rodney Mohr is doing a bow rehairing and maintenance course in February:
https://www.learningtradesecrets.com/workshops/bow-rehairing-maintenance

Lynn Hanning teaches a rehair course at the University of New Hampshire in the summers and somewhere in California.

These are your best bets, most bow makers/ violin makers/ skilled restorers that have poured countless hours and dollars into practice and training won't just freely give up the little tips that keep their customers coming back.

When I rehair bows, I count everything. From how many windings of thread on my knots, to how much hair I put in a bow, and how many times I comb the hair. Be careful when you wedge the bow, that's your most likely area for crossing. Examine all your steps and find the most efficient way to maintain tension and the least amount of handling of the hair.

On my blog, I give out some helpful tidbits here and there. It's meant for players to get a general understanding of what goes on behind the scenes but some aspiring technicians might be able to glean a good amount of info from it as well: www.adbowsllc.com

Edited: October 10, 2018, 10:18 AM · I think Lynn Hanning teaches in the summer at a workshop organized by Jim Brown violin shop in Claremont California, I believe Michael Darton still teaches violin making at the workshop.
October 10, 2018, 1:42 PM · Alright Thanks all for the advises .. good day.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay