Strings

October 8, 2018, 11:59 AM · What are some of the strings that brighten the sound of
the violin
Thanks Terry

Replies (11)

October 8, 2018, 1:59 PM · We don't know what your violin is, so if it isn't optimally set up by a luthier then it could be a fruitless (and expensive) business finding strings to brighten it. Trouble is, violins are individuals, and a string set on one may very well not work as you want on another.

I suggest taking the violin to a luthier for inspection and professional advice on the most suitable strings for it - which may not necessarily be the most expensive ones. The inspection may also result in advice on adjustments to the setup to brighten the tone.

October 8, 2018, 3:32 PM · I found that Pirastro Flexocor-Permanent strings brightened the sound of my more mellow-toned violin. These are steel-core strings.
October 8, 2018, 4:16 PM · I remember once buying Thomastik Alphayues when I was out in the boonies and the only music store nearby was a guitar shop.
I guess if there's anything good I can think to say about those strings, it's that they were very, very bright.

For brightness, steel core strings and cheap synthetics are your best bet. It's very easy to go way too bright, though!

October 8, 2018, 8:26 PM · I took it to a luthie in London Ontario in November /2017. He checked out the whole violin and suggested I get a new set of Pirastro Tonica which I have used for many years so he put a set on. I have tried Dominants too and prefer the Tonicas
This luthier and George Heinl
In Toronto don’t know about the violin other than to suggest that it was probably made in 1920’s. Inside it just says “Repaired by H.M. Cusack violin maker and repairer Toronto Ontario.” The year and month are rough and says
24th. Can’t read anything else.
It was given to me by our United Church minister, deceased, and was owned by his father. He knew nothing about it himself and did not play it.
My luthier thought was like an Amati. If l knew how to send photo I would

October 9, 2018, 12:37 PM · Prim.
October 10, 2018, 12:36 PM · You could try Evah Pirazzi Greens. My violin loves dark strings, so the Pirazzis sound terrible on it. They're very bright for my tastes. You can email Pirastro and ask for a trial set of something they recommend. Just make sure you tell them your violin's tonal tendencies and what you're looking for. Be as specific as possible.
October 10, 2018, 3:09 PM · Assuming that the Tonicas don't feel bright enough, I'd try Warchal Brilliant Vintage. They're reasonably priced, especially given their longevity.

If you want to splurge, try Evah Pirazzi Gold, but be aware they are both expensive and need to be frequently changed.

October 10, 2018, 9:18 PM · +1 For Lydia's suggestion for Warchal Brilliant Vintage.
I am also very, very pleased with Infeld Blue.
The difference in both is more about what timbre you like. Sweeter (Warchal) or rougher (Infeld), clean or sandy.
October 11, 2018, 8:58 AM · Carlos and Lydia,

I used the Warchal Brilliant Vintage, and I found them to be extremely warm and dark; the Vintage line is also specially made for old instruments. The Pirazzi Golds were also pretty warm, and the G almost too warm (caused a fuzzy, muddy tone on my already warm instrument). Be aware that the E has a tendency to whistle.

Terry, you could try the normal Brilliants if your instrument is not an older one (it says on the Warchal website what they consider to be "vintage"). Carlos is right in saying the Warchals have a sweet tone; They've been my favorite set up (Brilliant Vintage G and D, Russian A, Amber E), and I'm excited to try out the new Timbre set (they're $71 including shipping right now!! They will be $126 after the promotion.)

October 16, 2018, 7:43 PM · Thank all of you for your suggestions. It is a great help
Terry
October 16, 2018, 7:58 PM · Spirocore and Tonica

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay