What Strings do Symphony Orchestra Professionals Use?

October 7, 2018, 10:36 PM · No, not Hillary Hahn or Joshua Bell...For example, what strings might one see in the violin sections of the new york philharmonic?

Replies (4)

Edited: October 7, 2018, 10:43 PM · Dominant and Evah Pirazzi, the Peter Infeld are starting to gain popularity along with the Jargar Superior.
October 7, 2018, 11:08 PM · Anthony has mentioned the most popular choices. Strings are such an individual thing that it is up to you to find the best fit for your instrument and your needs.
October 7, 2018, 11:52 PM · Our symphony uses a mixed gamut of brands and models, including those mentioned above but several are using Passiones which is one of the reasons I decided to try them.
Edited: October 8, 2018, 7:58 AM · What Ella and Skip said. You will find them using a variety of strings because what sounds best on your violin may be different from what sounds best on your stand partner's violin. One thing I do not know is the extent to which orch players may use strings that cause their instruments to project better, whether or not those strings produce their preferred sound, simply because playing in an orch in a big hall puts a premium on that particular feature of the strings. I would be interested in whether that is a factor in string choice.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings