Summer camps (again) (yes, it's early)

October 7, 2018, 10:25 PM · I know it is early, but I would love some summer camp advice for my son. I asked last year and you all were so helpful, but unfortunately I couldn't convince my significant other to let him go. This year my son is 13 (8th grader) and now has many more options.

About him: pretty advanced player for his age, in a highly regarded pre-conservatory program for kids 13-18, lots of chamber and orchestral experience. He's currently working on 5th movement of Lalo and solo Bach. He's reasonably disciplined and independent but could use a program that at least has a loose structure. His priorities are solo and chamber; orchestra would be fun but not necessary. He will happily practice 2-3 hours a day and play several more hours in rehearsals.

What I definitely don't want is a program that would be a step down from his Academy program. He will not be happy if he is not challenged or put in a chamber group with kids who aren't strong musicians. He can spot a mediocre teacher a mile away.

From looking at websites, the program that meets his needs best is Kinhaven but I'm just not sure about the level. Considering Meadowmount, IU, maybe Bowdoin or Heifetz. Do others have suggestions?

Replies (11)

October 8, 2018, 1:15 AM · You said "solo and chamber"? Which is the priority? I'm guessing chamber music, given the interest in Kinhaven?
October 8, 2018, 6:45 AM · I'm interested in comments about summer chamber programs for this age group as well; my daughter's grade, level, and interests are very similar. Her teacher has had kids in Meadowmount with the most recent one continuing as an assistant the last year or two, so that's probably coming. But it might be better for her to find something this next year of similar quality but not the entire summer and five hours of individual practice each day.
October 8, 2018, 9:24 AM · By solo I mean that he needs time to practice during the day. He doesn't necessary need solo opportunities -- just time to practice and lessons. The priorities would be practice time and chamber music. Thanks!
Edited: October 13, 2018, 1:45 PM · I so want to attend a Summer camp in 2018. I had looked at the International Harmony Festival in Italy this year and was giddy with excitement for 2 weeks FOR ADULTS only. https://www.interharmony.com/italy/ However, I could not afford to attend. The Aspen Music Festival would be so delightful, but I fear I would not qualify as 1st position Violinist. Aspen Music Festival is also expensive. I love Chamber, Sinfonietta and Symphony - for adults - classical, baroque or romantique.

Any other thoughts or suggestions for 2019 Summer? If I can select one and meet people there who are kindred spirits, I will practice and have a goal to that end.

Stephanie

October 13, 2018, 9:08 PM · Susan, I'd suggest also looking at the Castleman Quartet Program, but I think there's an age limit of 14+, so that might depend on when your son turns 14.
October 13, 2018, 9:17 PM · Stephanie,

Your bio says that you're a beginner, and I imagine that's what you mean when you say that you're a "1st position Violinist".

InterHarmony is for players who are at least advanced enough to manage the orchestral repertoire, I believe. And Aspen is for the very most ambitious pre-professional / young professional players -- it's exceptionally competitive.

I suggest you try Scor! string camps, which are designed for beginners: LINK. Ditto New Horizons camps: LINK

The adult orchestra-oriented camps, like Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Academy, require a minimum of intermediate level. The music performed there is generally hard, beyond what you'd see in a typical community orchestra. (BSO and Buffalo's Academy have done Strauss tone poems, Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet, etc.)

Most of the adult chamber-music camps also require a minimum of intermediate level.

Edited: October 13, 2018, 10:07 PM · Susan - Greenwood is similar in style to kinhaven, although I think it's fairly hard to get a spot since many of the same kids go year after year. You might also want to look at Encore in Cleveland - it's the same name as the program the Cerones ran, but it was restarted a couple years ago by Jinjoo Cho. Does his teacher have any suggestions? It's not too early to have him start studying with teachers in the summer who he might be interested in for college, if he goes that route.
October 14, 2018, 10:28 AM · Thank you for the feedback. Lydia -- from looking at Castleman, I think he would have to wait another year.

Irene - Greenwood is on the list. I recently heard about Encore -- do you know anyone who has gone? It looks very good, but there isn't a terrible lot of info available. I have talked to his teacher about it -- most of the kids from his program go to Aspen, Bowdoin, Heifetz, or Center Stage Strings, but my son is one of only two middle-schoolers in the program. The others are HS age. My son (who is both wise beyond his years and simultaneously a typical 13yo) has indicated he thinks he still needs a program with at least some structure to keep him in line.

October 14, 2018, 12:12 PM · I don't - although the faculty who I know are all wonderful, compassionate people as well as great pedagogues. Doesn't necessarily translate to structure, though. I'd suggest contacting them and asking for more details.

Thinking about it, though, if this is his first summer away from home I wouldn't necessarily rule out a place like Kinhaven because of concerns about level (no direct or indirect experience with it, so I can't speak to that). It can be helpful to take that first step away from home in a less stressful environment, where you can figure out how to manage yourself without also the pressure of being a tiny fish in a massive pond.

October 14, 2018, 3:40 PM · Was this his idea? So many people I met at camps were forced to be there. It is a miserable place to be if you aren’t 100% on board. A lot of teens on here are the ones asking about the camps themselves rather than the parents.

I will also say this. I went to summer programs, including some of the ones mentioned in the post for at total of six years. While I was enthusiastic about it leading up to the very first time I went, and it was totally my choice, I quickly realized that none of these places were exactly what I had hoped for, and also that I worked best in a non-camp environment with occasional check-ins. Lengthy camps aren’t for everybody, and they aren’t a complete necessity. Europe pretty much has a model of workshops in masterclass format that last a few days, and maybe a couple of weeks tops. On the other hand, there are certainly a lot of people who really enjoy the experience at a particular place, feel they get a lot out of it, and happily keep going back.

October 14, 2018, 5:01 PM · Oh, he definitely wants to go. He's been to Blue Lake Family camp for years (but the last two in the teen cabin on his own) as well as several 7-10 day festivals he's commuted to. He loves them. We're just trying to find the right fit. He's very concerned about making sure the program has a high quality teacher and enough practice time. Today he told me that is his highest priority.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings