Violin neck groove

October 7, 2018, 12:00 PM · Hi,
I have a violin that has a groove or ''flute'',
running down the center of the neck,under the fingerboard,
(it can be seen when looking at the top nut).I have searched online,and cant find any information about the practise
of this by luthiers.(I am assuming the groove runs down the entire length of the neck,it would seem odd to only have the groove under the top nut)
Would anyone have any knowlege of this?

Thanks,
Malcolm :-)

Replies (8)

October 7, 2018, 12:19 PM · The groove allows hot water to be injected to release the hide glue and help remove the finger board.
Edited: October 7, 2018, 12:55 PM · There's always an engineering solution, and that's one!
October 7, 2018, 1:28 PM · It also lightens the neck a little without comprising its structural integrity. The glued-on fingerboard has some say in this.
October 7, 2018, 6:24 PM · I've checked my two violins for the groove in the neck. My #1 violin (latter half of the 18th c) has it, but not my #2 violin (Jay Haide 2002).

I'll make a guess that the better quality violins are more likely to have it, so as to make maintenance and repairs over the years that little bit easier. Or maybe the groove was a standard feature of instruments a century or more ago. And is this feature being used on any of today's instruments? I note that my Jay Haide (without the groove) is a step up from their student range.

Perhaps a luthier here would like to comment?

October 7, 2018, 6:45 PM · The groove in either the neck or the fingerboard, makes it easier to get the sides of the fingerboard to line up flush with the sides of the neck, otherwise the centre of the neck or fingerboard can provide a bump that makes it impossible to get both sides to fit flush. I don't think it has anything to do with getting water to release the glue, never heard of that.
October 8, 2018, 10:49 AM · Thanks for taking the time to read my post,folks,your knowlege is appreciated.
Malcolm :-)
October 8, 2018, 11:00 AM · Lyndon, my "there's always an engineering solution" mantra applies even more so to your explanation!
October 9, 2018, 4:24 AM · It's not done much anymore. One reason is that glue residue in the groove can eventually produce buzzes.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings