What do you do when your teacher is on tour?

October 6, 2018, 9:37 PM · I'm taking lessons from an excellent teacher. She is also an excellent musician, and in that role she goes on tours throughout the United States, Europe and Australia. Hence she can be gone for up to five weeks. Now, while she is on tour she gives lessons via FaceTime or Skype, and that works well. This time, however, she will be too busy for those lessons. So my question is this - Have you experienced this type of situation, and what do you do while your teacher is gone? For my part, I plan performances. I go over what I know, and work to polish it for a performance. Then I do the show. This gives me a focus and a direction. While this works for me, I'm curious about what others do when their teacher isn't around for a few weeks. Thanks.

Replies (7)

Edited: October 6, 2018, 10:05 PM · I use those times to work with a pianist. Luckily my teacher's Mom is a wonderful pianist so we can organize some really useful time together. This helps to keep the routine alive and develop musically with a slightly different experience.
October 6, 2018, 11:48 PM · Luckily, when my son's teach is out of town, his wife who is also a very good violinist teaches my son.
October 6, 2018, 11:50 PM · When I leave town for an extended period, I arrange with an in-town colleague to be available to give lessons to my students. I also offer Facetime lessons for those who prefer but I strongly recommend the in-person lessons with my colleague.
October 7, 2018, 6:16 AM · I take lessons from my former teacher. Otherwise technique ends up going backwards :(
Edited: October 7, 2018, 8:56 PM · I think Mary Ellen's solution is wonderful. Those kinds of arrangements are the best when they can be reciprocal, but it's not necessary.
October 7, 2018, 9:25 PM · When my previous teachers have been gone for an extended period of time, I have always been referred to one or more other teachers to take lessons from. In some cases I've been asked to take a coaching from several teachers, and in others, I've been asked to take several lessons from a single teacher. Often my teachers had recommended someone who's particularly good at teaching some particular aspect of playing. It was always interesting. (My teachers routinely left during the summer when I was a kid, so most summers I studied with someone else.)
Edited: October 8, 2018, 1:00 AM · When my teacher went away for a while she would just assign a larger amount of material and I would be on my own. I don't remember any damage or anxiety from this. I have to say that it was long before long distance lessons became possible.

At some point in your life you'll live without violin lessons and manage on your own. The three week absence of a teacher is a little foretaste of such a life.

Edit: I should add that a teacher who is often absent is not a good choice for beginners.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay