Bein & Fushi has my sister's violin for consingment for 8 years. What should I do?

October 6, 2018, 6:00 PM · Dear all,

Thank you for reading my thread. I posted a similar thread earlier in the year, and I want to get as much feedback as possible. My sister and I own a violin by Lorenzo Ventapane, Naples c 1840 (#S3291C). Our dad purchased it for our sister for $110,000 in approximately 2000. It was purchased from Bein & Fushi in Chicago. Unfortunately, my sister got sick and she stopped playing the instrument in approximately 2010. Since 2010, my dad's small business has crumbled into pieces due to the recession and my sister's health got worse.

I sent the violin to Bein & Fushi in late 2010/early 2011 in hopes of selling the violin under a consignment agreement, but it has not been sold yet.

We really need to sell the violin in a very short period now to pay for my sister's medical bills and to support my parents monthly living.

I am currently in Manhattan, NY. What or where will be my best option. I am willing to sell the violin at a discount. Please help us with your feedback. I truly appreciate your read. Thank you very much.

Best,
Anthony

Replies (5)

Edited: October 6, 2018, 7:39 PM · Are you trying to use this discussion forum to advertise your violin? Because that's what it seems like to me.

Why don't you get the violin back and shop it around to some of the conservatory teachers in the Northeast. Or try another shop. Or try an auction house. Or try to get a loan using the violin as collateral. 

October 6, 2018, 7:51 PM · Tarisio in New York. Their next sale is Oct 28. They will give you a realistic view of what you can expect.
I am sorry for your situation. For speed and liquidity, auction is your best bet at this point
Edited: October 6, 2018, 8:11 PM · I agree with Matt. Tarisio is more modernized with technology and has better visibility. They have a private sales division now in addition to the auctions. Try to setup a meeting with either Jason Price or Carlos Tome. Feel free to mention me (they both know me). I’m very sorry to hear about your situation. I hope everything gets better for your family.

(212)307-7224
info.newyork@tarisio.com

Edited: October 6, 2018, 8:56 PM · Here's the original thread: LINK

Anthony, at the time, you got solid advice in that thread. You were advised to try auctioning the violin. Tarisio in particular was mentioned. Why haven't you done that, four months later?

Edited: October 8, 2018, 3:40 AM · To Anthony Ji ~

Very disheartened to read of such trauma dealt your Sister and parent's since 2010/'11, I agree with the suggestion's here re trying to reclaim your fine Violin to take it to an alternate Violin House or accredited Auction House Company as Tarisio in New York City, or Bonham's in London, but ask you the question posed just above by Lydia Leong re receiving advice 4 months ago yet not following it up?

There are always reasons for Everything, some of which are so achingly painful they are best kept private & not expressed publicly. If this is the current situation, you are best advised to consult someone you know well
and Trust with your own life ~ Surely, a clergyman might be someone to seek out for an overview of your current and appearing to be, dire financial situation not to mention an emotionally on going gut wrenching experience ~

Sending you every good wish and prayers for "unseen" help from Above~

Elisabeth Matesky in America *

*Go to Directories on this website to access contact information

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins