Trill sign and two dots in Bach Partita Schneiderhan annotation

Edited: October 7, 2018, 7:24 PM · In the Bach Partita #2 for solo violin in measure 44 of the Courante in the Henle edition there are two dots staggered above the trill sign. What do those two dots mean?

Replies (9)

October 6, 2018, 11:25 AM · I have a photocopy of the Sonatas and Partitas that purports to be of the original manuscript and it shows nothing like that for that double-stop trill - nor do any of my 4 printed editions. I would ignore it. Of course you could treat it as license to break the tempo there, but I think it starts on the D and ends with B-C#.
October 6, 2018, 11:37 AM · You could e-mail Henle. I did it once in a different context and got a very nice answer.

Also: The manuscript mentioned above is on IMSLP. I haven't checked for that weird trill sign but suspect it is a printing mishap that happened at Henle's.

October 6, 2018, 3:40 PM · If Bach had any sense of humor he would have left a few stray ink blobs in his manuscripts. Violinists would be agonizing over their meaning for centuries.
October 6, 2018, 7:09 PM · When I try to go your link I get a http 401 error-- check the permissions for the file (and/or its enclosing folder).

Like Andrew says, Bachs autograph just has an ordinary trill sign there.

October 7, 2018, 6:32 PM · I should have mentioned that the notation is peculiar to the Wokfgang Schneiderhan fingerings in the Henle Urtext edition, and not it the
Urtext itself. I'd like to understand the notation in part because maybe it suggests a way to do it that might be helpful. I have a hard time with that trill. If I shift to the doublestop without trilling, no problem (mostly). But if I trill the C# is off, too sharp. In any case, here is the picture.

October 7, 2018, 8:07 PM · I've never seen that as a notation, and unless it's written in the key of your addition (which I doubt), it's probably just an accidental blob.

As for the intonation, start the trill from above- Leave your finger on the D while you play the B, then plop the C# right behind it.

Edited: October 7, 2018, 8:35 PM · Maybe the dots represent the number of times the editor wants you to play the upper note of the trill.
But then the squiggly line continues. A mystery!
Maybe it was a printing error.
October 8, 2018, 2:51 AM · Hello,

I have the hard copy in front of me and around the last page should be an explanation of symbols. In this case, he means to begin the trill on the upper note.

Have a good day,
Tommy

October 8, 2018, 7:13 PM · Ahh thank you Tom, but I am also embarrassed. Anyway, this also matches Julie's suggestion. Starting from the top does make intonation easier, but I need to retrain my fingers...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings