Tone Deaf Test

Edited: October 5, 2018, 4:40 PM · See how high you can score on these tests.

http://jakemandell.com/

Replies (13)

October 5, 2018, 11:19 AM · "Perfect pitch", along with various other forms of frequency evaluation have come and gone on this forum for many years. Do your homework.
Edited: October 5, 2018, 1:50 PM · This is just a fun test to take David to see how high you score. Maybe fun for some maybe not.
Do your homework:)
October 5, 2018, 1:22 PM · I have a fairly new phone but am unable to take the test so I am disappointed.
October 5, 2018, 1:52 PM · Since it uses flash to work I guess some phones might be finicky.
I scored 75-80% on most of it.
Admittedly I didn't try the rhythm one yet. I'm afraid of that one :)
Edited: October 5, 2018, 2:24 PM · Did it twice, the test is immediately followed by a questionnaire asking for your score, but never gave me a score...

amend, tx Timothy:

until.... I found out that the test score is displayed after you go to the NEXT screen … duuuoh! Someone didn't think that one through very well!

October 5, 2018, 2:22 PM · Did you push the arrow buttons? It gives you a score then. Push the continue arrows. I know. I did it wrong the first time too.
October 5, 2018, 2:55 PM · My experience was the same as Roger's.
I can't be bothered to do it a second time.
October 5, 2018, 3:39 PM · I scored in normal range. I'm not sure how this test measures something called "tone deafness." Is there an official definition of "tone deafness" anyway?

What it measures is just simply the ability to pick out small changes in what are sometimes very complex parallel phrases.

I'm just not sure what it attempts to measure except the ability to remember a sequence of notes and pick out whether one tiny change was made. This would seem to be a good test for a conducting competition, and I think they do something like it already: the orchestra plays and the candidate has to pick out the mistake.

I'd be willing to bet that, given enough practice, one could improve the score. It's possibly like being a waiter: in the beginning, it can be difficult to remember even simple orders. But with practice, the mind develops a way of taking even large orders from memory.

Edited: October 5, 2018, 9:05 PM · I feel the same as Scott. The test focuses more on the ability to remember a sequence of tone than differentiating between one tone and another.
Edited: October 6, 2018, 12:29 AM · Yes, I had a couple of problems with memory. And that's one of the things that would throw doubt on the credibility of the test - more than one variable is being tested, and that's never good science.
I don't think practice is a problem - in fact, I think you probably should practice it. If you were tone deaf and it did test that, then no amount of practice would help.
Because in fact it seems not a lot of people know what real tone-deafness is - I have only ever known one person who was totally tone deaf. If he tried to sing do re mi etc, you'd hear 8 random notes: some would rise in pitch by an unpredictable amount and some would fall - he couldn't tell the difference. It was embarassing, so I never asked him about it or how he perceived music.
Yet if you search for tone-deafness on Youtube, more than 99% of what you get is just people not singing well, which isn't the same thing.
October 6, 2018, 12:12 AM · Woohoo! 96.1%! Does that mean I can enter Julliard? Will I be able to become a top soloist like James Ehnes? Can I also get a unicorn with that? ...oh, wait, it's virgins unicorns care about, ...or was it dragons... Either way, Yay! ...or something! :)
October 6, 2018, 2:41 AM · Andrew - quite right of course, how do you tell whether the problem is one of hearing or voice production? Get them to find the note on the piano that matches what they hear? Of course their sensation of that will be distorted in the same sense as the test tone, but at least you might determine whether what they hear has a pitch that can be discriminated from other pitches. Next year the Seashore tests that assess these faculties in a rigorous way will have been around for a whole century.
Edited: October 6, 2018, 7:57 AM · Reminds me of a recent on-line quiz that purported to recommend the most suitable instrument to learn as a beginner. I answered all the questions as if I were a newbie.

The recommendation was that I learn a percussion instrument.

Hmmm! Where did I go wrong? I'll just keep banging the rocks together and see what happens.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings