Water Music for (more or less) full orchestra

October 3, 2018, 2:57 PM · Does anyone have experience with Water Music? I play in a community orchestra and we are considering performing it. On IMSLP there are some scores available, but it is a bit confusing to me. Also it appears not to have woodwind parts and other winds missing. Can anyone recommend arrangements for more or less full orchestra? We have a budget so we can purchase things. I write "more or less full" because one can always improvise a bit, some instruments playing other instruments parts. Looking forward to any responses!

Replies (2)

October 3, 2018, 3:59 PM · There are oboes and bassoons. You might check some of the performances on Youtube to see if they fill it out with other instruments. But this is pretty early music (18th century) before some of the wind instruments were invented for ensemble use. If there are additional instruments they should be doubling some of the other parts. One of the problems with that would be the introduction of overtones not produced. But it might sound just fine unless your are trying to be "authentic."

You could experiment with that in your own orchestra and see if oboe can fit in with 2nd violin and flute with first violin and other things?

Save the trombones to add to the Royal Fireworks, however!!!

October 4, 2018, 1:41 PM · There's an edition by Anthony Baines published by OUP that has everything short of a gamelan and wind machine.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay