Guarneri Copy vs Strad copy for learning violin

October 2, 2018, 6:53 PM · I have a question about two violin models. I read something about a Strad copy design and Guarneri copy (Scott Cao STV 850 to be exact).

I understand that the Guarneri has a fatter or wider bottom, have seen it described as more bell shaped or something like that than Strad copies. I also read that, due to the shape, the Guarneri is a deeper sound. Is this accurate?

I also read, that because of its shape, the Guarneri is harder to play. If that is the case, why is that? There was something about needing a heavier bow pressure on the strings. Why? It was not explained why this is and I can’t find that site again.

I was trying to find information on this violin; Scott Cao STV850 Guarneri Il Cannone 1743 (Label inside says: Il Cannone 1743, shop luthier says it is Guarneri) and it is the Scott Cao STV850. I have read something about the original neck being shorter, wood thicker, and something about a curve.

Is it so different than other violins as to where a student should not use it to learn? With a shorter neck, if that is true, wouldn’t fingering be harder, or at least different from the Strad?

What does the thicker wood do as far as learning on it, if the Scott Cao model uses thicker wood like the original does.

If you learned on this violin and were not going to be trading up again, would it matter if this is the violin you learned on?

If you later decided you wanted a different violin, would this violin cause an issue if it isn’t a normal violin and you switch to a normal violin with normal neck and curve (whatever that is referring to)?

How does it compare to a strad copy?

I am going violin tasting next week, I am not an advanced student but it is extremely difficult for me to play any instrument when the basic sound is not what I want, whether notes are always accurate or not. I have a bright violin, but find I am drawn to mellow, so am trading it in for a mellow. I have read that this violin is mellow. I am “tasting” other models at the same price point as this Scott Cao and lower. I have just read so many good things about Scott Cao and have heard some good samples of them, compared to other models.

I am going in with an open mind, but am curious about what I read. Are Guarneri copies different and harder to play than Strad copies, as well as my other questions above.

Thanks a bunch.

Replies (31)

October 2, 2018, 6:57 PM · Ehmmm...
Just buy what sounds good, be it a Strad, Guarneri, Amati, Stainer, Mather, what have you.

Choosing violins based on the model alone is plain silly.

Edited: October 2, 2018, 7:28 PM · If you can bring someone experienced with you, to give feedback on play-ability, and you see what sounds good to you, then get a couple on evaluation, and bring them to your teacher, if you have one.

I know how it is, wanting to get all the data you can, and figure it out with your mind, but, your ear and fingers have to figure it out. Or, you could rent for a while. If you're very new at this, your ear is going to change/improve anyway.

By the way, I've only seriously begun taking lessons lately. I've been playing at a low level for years, but, I'm still a beginner. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

October 2, 2018, 8:17 PM · Definitely overthinking this. Go play a bunch of violins. Take someone experienced if you can. Pick two or three to take home and play for a few days. Choose the one you like the best, then paly them for your teacher and see which one they like the best. Hopefully that will be the same one. If not listen to their reasoning and then do what will make you the most happy!
October 2, 2018, 8:40 PM · I tend to over think things when I am purchasing something that is more than I would normally spend.

I don’t have a teacher yet, she is recovering from surgery and is not taking in new students until she recovers. I had her for a brief stint with cello a few years ago (doing cello with someone else now after restarting it).

I was just very surprised by what I had read about the differences and couldn’t figure out why the difference, or the affect. I thought there was a specific neck length, width, etc.

I purchased a couple sewing/embroidery machines years ago with regret about the brand/model later, even though when I tried them they seemed to be pretty good. Not wanting a repeat.

Will just have to make sure when trying them.

Thank you.

Edited: October 2, 2018, 9:24 PM · Buy from a place with a good trade-in policy. Violins are more transferable than sewing machines.

When I'm buying something possibly expensive, I make a spreadsheet with all the items going across, all their features going down, and I log in all the features pertinent reviews I can find, positive and negative. Mostly due to memory issues.

However, that is for mass produced stuff that doesn't have as much variability as a violin. Violins are more "particular" and more personal to an individual's tastes and needs. As some have mentioned on other threads, and as I've experienced in the past, it will be hard to find a new chinese violin that is not bright to some degree. Not that people can particularly read your mind, but you might call around to some shops and describe what you want, and what your budget is (hopefully they won't increase prices to match your budget!!!!) and ask what they have that might fit the bill.

Edited: October 2, 2018, 9:28 PM · My first violin was a $160 Palatino. Walked into a shop to buy a penny whistle, walked out with a fiddle. I couldn't understand why after playing it for 5-10 minutes that I had the visceral desire to smash it against the wall. Then I gradually realized the brightness was irritating the hell out of me.
October 2, 2018, 10:43 PM · The models are really about looks, at least in the sense that 10 strad models will sound like 10 different violins. The range of sounds from each model probably overlap and I bet most people can’t tell a modern strad model from a modern del Gesu. Just follow the excellent advice about using your ears.

As my luthier once put:
“I always snatch up Guarneri models.”
Me: “why, because they sound different?”
Him: “no, because they are prettier.”

October 2, 2018, 11:06 PM · Unless you are buying an extremely expensive bench copy (which costs tens of thousands of dollars), you shouldn't really care what a violin is supposedly modeled after.

Students violin vary significantly even within a given "model". Just play and test a bunch and pick the one you like best.

October 3, 2018, 1:49 AM · My understanding, supported by what I've read on Maestronet and an instrument I saw the other day, is that Guarneri del Gesu violins actually tend to be on the small side. But the difference is only a few mm and I don't think that should be an important factor in your choice
Edited: October 3, 2018, 1:57 AM · Someone somewhere else asked about the metrics of these copies, and it occurred to me that the wood thickness profile must be one of the most important metrics. Anyone know how accurate this is in these copies?
(the lower bout is the one responsible for a CG's bass, so if it's bigger on a fiddle, I'd expect it to be bassier)
Edited: October 3, 2018, 6:55 AM · Ok, I can trade in instruments I buy at this violin shop for equal or greater value for as long as I own it. That is one of the issues. Right now I have an $900 violin, but the brightness irritates me. I would change out the strings, but I don’t want to risk damage. I am new to violins, been taking cello for over a year and that has helped me with learning the violin (on my own until I can start lessons), and learning the violin has helped me with the cello, weird. Anyway, since I am at the $900 level, if I find I love the Scott Cao STV 850 Il Cannone 1743, I am up to the $1600 level. That means any trade later, due to just not liking it after I have gotten more proficient, or whatever, I cannot trade for a lower end. Not sure how big an issue that is. Not many violin shops around here, but I really like this shop, anyway. They give you purchase price minus any repairs they have to do before putting it up for sale. I have nary a scratch on my Revelle right now, so, since I know I am not happy with bright, I should do something now.

I read that the wood thickness of the true Guarneri is thicker than Strad. I am not sure if that follows through with copies, but if that was pertinent to the original to get the sound, I would think that would be the case. That said, one site stated that bowing was an issue due to the thickness because you have to press down hard to get the sound out. That is what concerns me most.

I am just learning. My bowing has gotten progressively better as I have been watching and reading about bowing. I am going to ask the instructor, when she starts back up after surgery and takes in new students, to really pay attention to my bowing. Cello instructor was not doing that in a way that was not confusing and contradicting week to week, the violin has helped, even though completely different. But the cello instructor is great with everything else. Since my bowing is not to par, I am not really going to know if it is me and my lack of experience, or if the Scott Cao STV850 Il Cannone 1743 does require a different bowing technique. It is hard to find info to corroborate that one tidbit that I read. I am not sure if the sales associate (professional violinist/violist) would be able to tell if I ask her what she thinks.

What I have read a lot in articles and reviews (need to take reviews with a grain of salt) is that Scott Cao offers very good violins. That is one of the main issues that I am concerned with. This is the only Scott Cao they have, not that the BRAND, is the determining factor other than quality.

There are other brands/models that I am going to try: Jan Dvorak, W. Raabs, Germany (have read German made are fairly good), Dimitri Larcov, Shen Model SV1000, 2009, Modello Italiano Italiano *** and, Modelo Italiano*, I have not found anything on those violins. These are all below the $1600 Scott Cao price, except for one (is $1600, also), but they are equal to or a little above the $900.

If I go by sound alone, the violin may sound good, but maybe not really be a good value, so I have just been trying to make sure I get my money’s worth. I am no spring chicken right now and won’t be driving out to this violin shop very often. Maybe once or twice a year to give my prized possession a check up.

I so wish I was able to start violin as a child. My husband said that it was too bad I didn’t think to do it as an adult quite a few years ago. He is very supportive of my cello and violin and says I sound quite good on them. I did not think I would be able to learn it and did not think my wide fingers (wish I had my sister’s long thin ones) would allow me to do the strings on the narrow fingerboard.

Spent years trying to learn guitar with and without lessons and I just could not touch one string without affecting the one next to it, and could not bar across them, so I figured a violin was out of the question. The fingers are why I went with the cello (that and the sound). But, I am finding the violin easier to finger than the cello. I do not understand that at all. For some reason, I have been able to finger the first position on the violin with no issue. I am off a tad once in a while, but I always know by the sound and can adjust quickly. When I get an instructor it will be much better and my technique will undoubtedly be corrected in some ways. But, compared to guitar and cello, this seems to have been a better fit. I love music and want to be proficient at it. I think that desire is what is making me think about this trade in of the Revelle so much. I want to concentrate on playing the violin, not finding one. Unfortunately, even though I cannot tune by ear, when an instrument is not giving the general tone(?) that I like, it really really bothers me. I cannot handle that. It may sound perfectly fine (my Revelle sounds nice), but in spite of the nice sound, I am really bothered by the sound not being what I am looking for. Even just a tad mellower than the Revelle would work. That is how much it affects me.

That issue with the sound bothering me so much is very annoying because I am still learning. I really love making music. And I love making music on a violin, cello, or viola (have a cheapola viola to play with) the most. I love the action of bowing, fingering those fingerboards, the sounds coming out, feeling the vibration of the instrument, etc. It is just so relaxing and gives me a good feeling. I will be getting strange sounds for quite a while, but the underlying tone needs to be pleasing to me. I know violin sounds can settle, but I don’t think a mellow violin will go bright, will it?

I hope this explains more clearly why I am so concerned about getting the violin that suits me when I visit the shop this time. I am not going to ever be a professional, not planning to play in front of people, etc. Might play during a Facetime with my granddaughters (right now 2 and 4 months) who live across the country, but that is about it. I might play for my adult kids when they visit, if they ask and I feel like I can do it. I have issues in front of people. But, even if it just for me, I think it is important to have the sound you are comfortable with, it does not have to be for someone else.

I know I am being a pain, but it is a big deal to me, and I just need information to keep in mind before I go violin tasting next Wednesday. I am now going to see, again, if I can find information somewhere on the other violins. Stepping up to the $1600 level with the trade, may be the clincher. That limits me in the future because there is only one ither $1600 model, the rest are over. I need to remember that and not go just by the heart. Therefore, I am trying to get info on quality, playability, etc of the other models to include with my decision after hearing and playing them. Does this make sense or clear up why playing them, alone, cannot be the only factor?

Thank you all for your replies, and any additional information.

Cynthia

October 3, 2018, 7:44 AM · Why are you afraid of causing damage by changing the strings?

Have the shop change them if you are that leery.

October 3, 2018, 8:44 AM · Cynthia, since you are a cellist, you should have no trouble testing violins by playing them in cello position. This is a fine way to get a better idea of how they sound to an audience (not a perfect way, but a better way). I use this method "all the time" to get some idea of the effects of different bows, rosins, strings, etc. on my chin instruments. It puts my ears in a location relative to the instrument more like a listeners. I even use this method for testing the intonation of my A string in ensemble situations, because the closeness of a violin to my left ear can increase the apparent pitch in relation to the oboe that is our tuning tone.
October 3, 2018, 8:45 AM · Like Lydia said earlier, unless you are buying a true proper copy, which would likely be very expensive, these makers make their 'copies' based loosely on some parameters from the original and slap a name on them for marketing purposes. And even that is no guarantee at all that the instrument will have /ANY/ of the characteristics of the original, other than perhaps extremely accurate dimensions. Which unless we're talking about the extreme examples of Strads and Del Gesu, are no more discrepant than normal variations from one violin to another.

So whose copy it is from is at this point irrelevant, specially if you are a beginner. Look for a violin that you like. Ignore all pretension of maker and labels and pedigree, and keep in mind sellers will use all sorts of words to describe their instruments, that often turn out to be just marketing abstractions (dark, powerful, resonant, buttery, etc).

Also I know you said you didn't have a teacher yet, but you truly would benefit from having someone who is capable of playing the violin give you an objective assessment on the instruments you try, because as a beginner you may choose an instrument that you like now, but a few months down the road it simply isn't enough anymore as your skills evolve. So maybe see if your teacher-to-be can recommend someone to go with you and help you choose, or at the very least make sure the store has a good trade-in policy so when you outgrow it you can go get another one.

Also you should hear the violin played by someone who's competent at it. Beginners tend not to like the sound of their instruments because they aren't capable yet of producing good tone (which can take years to develop).

So get a teacher/player if you can, and go try violins out there regardless of by-whom and when and where and why they were made! :)

October 3, 2018, 9:23 AM · I have decided to just go and try them. I know of no other violinists. Instructors around here are few and far between, and apparently not solely music teachers as they must be around where most of you live. They don’t go to music stores with students. They have other jobs, as well, plus play professionally, at least this one does. This is, literally, the only violin instructor I know of around here and she is recovering from surgery. I won’t bore you with details about the lack of music instructors around here. If the violin shop was in this town, I would probably ask her, but it is 60-65 miles away.

I will have the associate at the violin shop, who is a professional violinist/violist, play them for a longer period of time this time before and after I try them. That would help. She did not push the more expensive violins on me the first time. She really paid attention to what I thought I wanted at that time.

With the strings, I am not sure if changing them out would detract from trade in because they would no longer be their Dominants. The Dominants were new when I bought the violin and I have only had it a little under a month. Plus, I do not have more strings and, at this point, I don’t want to spend money on strings hoping they will tone down a bright violin, I am considering trading in.

There is just something about the sound that seems to disappoint for some reason. I am going to play it quite a bit today, and record it and see if I can figure it out so I will know when I go.

I never thought of playing them in cello position so they are not as close to my ears, as well as in normal position, terrific idea.

I have learned a lot from these responses, and have been able to clear my mind to think a little more clearly about this. This is much appreciated. Like I said, I think things through too much at times.

If you are interested, I will let you know what happens next Wednesday afternoon.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. Very helpful. I am now good to go violin tasting.

Cynthia

October 3, 2018, 9:26 AM · Fox pretty much summed up exactly what I was going to say. It can be hard not to over analyze but at the end of the day the best value for your money will be a violin you like the sound of when playing. Names are just names for all these “copies”. They are not replica’s and even if they were we are talking mere millimeters of a difference.

You said this is a proper stringed instrument store? Someone will surely know how to play a violin if so. Since you do not have a teacher I would call ahead and see if they can have someone available to spend sometime with you when you come. If this can be arranged have them play all the instruments are you interested in while you have your back turned without telling you what is being played!!!! And yes include your current violin in that mix. Then you can focus just on the sound, not the price, make, or any other factor. You also get an idea of the sound the violin will be about to produce once your skills improve. Then take your top choices and try playing them yourself to see how they feel in your own hands and go from there.

October 3, 2018, 9:55 AM · Judging from your other post, I think you are overthinking things. I recommend a process similar to what I did to select my current instrument.

I went to the store with my (then) violin. Like yours, I had a trade-in policy. The shop owner, who is also a playing violinist in the orchestra, laid out every instrument in and (at my request) slightly above my budget. I played them all, narrowing it down based on sound. There was one violin I just wanted to cut out, but I didn't, for some reason. Round two, I played the remaining five, each time against my violin, with my bow. Then I narrowed it down to three. I had him play all three while I stood across the shop. The initial, honey-colored instrument that I had wanted to cut was still in the mix. When he played that one, I understood why I couldn't cut it from the list. What sounded intense under my ear was all of the overtones that carried across the shop. It was night and day. When I played it again, I could feel my entire body vibrating and I knew why I subconsciously kept it in the mix. I took it home on trial, with my original violin, and compared them for a few hours. Then I put my original in its case, and played the new one for a week. I bought it the following week, trading in my original fiddle.

Trust your ears. Not the label, or the "model" or the brand. Or the looks. In fact, when my teacher saw it, she said "oh, I love how beautiful it is." And everyone who plays it remarks how good it sounds. In my case it was 10% above my target price before taxes, but it outshone instruments that cost 50% more than it.

October 3, 2018, 10:16 AM · In my experience, the differences between Guarneri and Strad patterns are only meaningful within the output of a given maker.

In other words, one maker's Strad may tend to be a more soprano sound than his or her Guarneri, which may be deeper and darker, as well as smaller.

However, the comparison falls apart BETWEN makers. One maker's Guarneri pattern may be larger and brighter-sounding than the next maker's Strad model, which may be small and deep sounding.

Also, just because a violin is marketed as "Strad" or "Guarneri" does not mean it slavishly adheres to all of the aspects of design, including arching and graduation. In other words, they're not all bench copies. It simply may mean the general shape. VW Bugs and Porche 911 share similar body shapes and engine layout, but they don't perform the same.

Also, there can be a wide interpretation of what these patterns. Makers often experiment with different parameters and end up with a hybrid, even if they call it one pattern or the other. And particular makers, unfortunately, build in their own personal faults, such as bad wolf notes, regardless of the pattern.

I know one maker who claims he has more tonal success with a Guarneri pattern than a Strad, and thus prices them accordingly. He's right--his Strads lack something.

I would judge the individual violin, not the supposed pattern.

October 3, 2018, 9:00 PM · Strings don't affect resale value. Strings are easily changed. Here's an idea. I did this once. I took my fiddle to the store, took the E string off, and put an A string of another type on. I then had two A strings that I could play back and forth between to see which I liked better. I did that for two different A strings. Cheaper than buying a whole set and trying a whole set at a time. Or you could do two E strings at a time.

Even if you change the strings, you can put the old ones back on if it doesn't work. Pretty sure there's no issue around that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

October 3, 2018, 10:11 PM · The shop may not allow you to change the strings on a violin you don't own / aren't renting, even if you re-string with the old ones afterwards. That's especially true if you're not someone who is an experienced violinist used to routinely changing strings.
October 3, 2018, 10:59 PM · I thought she was reticent to change the strings on the violin she owns.
October 4, 2018, 4:34 AM · I'm glad it had never occurred to me to buy a copy of anything.
October 4, 2018, 6:40 AM · I've got copies galore. Two copies of Paul Klee paintings, one copy of a Marcel Duchamp painting, and one copy of a Jackson Pollock painting. Talk about difference in price between copy and original! Phew!

(Okay, they're museum prints, but still.)

October 4, 2018, 6:55 AM · I felt I had a shortage of my own artwork to display on my walls so I had 4 full size canvas prints made of my own art work that belonged to other people, hard to tell the difference between the originals.

my art work;
https://www.taylorsfineviolins.com/my-art.html

Edited: October 4, 2018, 7:25 AM · Seems to be some confusion on some the things I was thinking about.

String changing: I do change strings: Changed my cello strings (with husband’s help due to the size), changed my strings on my cheapo Mendini MV300 (purchased just to see if I could hold and bow a violin due to spine issues), changed strings on my cheapola viola, guitar strings. It is not the actual changing of the strings. I just do not want to risk lower trade in value because I removed the new original strings put on by the shop knowing I plan to trade it in. I also do not want to risk accidentally scratching it, because I know I want to trade it in.

Brand/model: I am not dead set on the Scott Cao (As a matter of fact, that is pretty much a “no”’now because the shop owner said that it is actually bright sounding). I was wondering, before finding out it was bright, what affect a violin of this type would have on the learning curve because I had never heard of that style that Scott Cao copied for it (Guarneri). Shorter neck, wider lower bout(?), thicker wood, etc. Also wondered how exact people who make copies follow the original design. I am not Brand/Model shopping.

Instructor going with you: I don’t know where you all live, but around me, I never heard of that happening. It would be a whole day trip for orchestra strings because there are no true orchestra string shops closer than an hour or hour and a half. The local music store has a couple violins, but not trained violin staff. So, I really did not want to get a violin there. It is your small scale music store that handles the guitarists, drummer, pianist type musicians around here. It is a great little store for those. They do have a violinist/cellist that gives lessons. It is a drought here for orchestral strings. So, bringing the instructor does not happen. She is recovering from surgery, anyway.

I was just looking for info on the Guarneri vs the Strad copies because of info I found online about the guarneri, which I had never heard of.

I know I have to go by what I like to hear and feel comfortable with and what is in my budget. This is not professional use, this is for my own pleasure, but I still want one that sounds pleasant to me. I have a lot to think about and this will most likely be the one. I am 63 and not going to perform. I needed, and did receive, some info to help me out.

I stated it is a true violin (orchestral string) shop with two luthiers, one being the owner. The staff are all professionals on the instruments. They do play them for you, as well as let you play them when trying them out. The time I bought the Revelle was the first time I had ever been to a shop like that and I rushed it. My bad. This time, I will ask the assistant to play the instruments, without vibrato and with vibrato. I don’t do vibrato - no lessons yet - and find it hard to judge an instrument when it is being played with vibrato. I will also play the violins a lot more, myself. So, yes, the staff does play the instruments.

I actually set my iPhone on the other side of the room yesterday and then played my Revelle violin as I recorded it. I really am not thrilled with the sound. To me it is a little bright and seemed hollow. I will probably step it up to a higher level (priced) violin, but it depends on what the other two that are the same price sound like, maybe one of those has that sound I like. Higher price does not always mean better. It just is missing something and I am not sure strings changing would fix that anyway, but I am not an expert by any measure.

I don’t think you need to be a professional to warrant getting a really nice violin, or anything for that matter. I think that doing something simply for your own pleasure warrants getting the best you can afford if you want, and that is what I am doing.

It seems to me there was some other misconception in the replies, but can’t recall it. So, I am not shopping by brand/model. Heart is not set on any particular one, I was just looking for information I could not find on the web, instructor going with me is not feasible (I don’t have one yet, anyway), I do know how to change strings, want to keep within budget, store is a professional violin shop and is staffed by professional musicians on those instruments, staff will play and help you.

Also, when I heard back about my appointment time, the owner said the Scott Cao was bright. He will have that one for me to try, but he is going to have mellower ones in my price range for me to try, too.

Thank you for all of your help and advice. It will be fun doing this, especially since I did it once and know what I did wrong last time, did not take enough time.

Edits made to this post were just spelling corrections and inserting missing words. Basic text was not changed.

Cynthia

October 4, 2018, 9:24 AM · The characteristics of an *actual* Strad or Guarneri have basically nothing to do with the student instruments that you are looking at that claim to be based on a Strad or Guarneri model. Just ignore the stuff that you read.

Individual violins do differ subtly in proportions and may affect your comfort with a particular instrument. I find narrower necks to be more comfortable, for instance (and almost everyone finds wide necks to be uncomfortable). Slight differences in body length may affect your comfort. The size and shape of the bouts can affect your ability to get around the upper positions.

Edited: October 4, 2018, 12:16 PM · Cynthia, you might find it interesting to pursue information on the Guarneri and Stradivari families of violin makers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarneri
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_Stradivari

Despite what the Guarneri article says about Perlman playing a del Gesu B.G. Guarneri, he actually switched to the ex-Menuhin Stradivarius about 30 years ago - an incredibly powerful instrument. At one point Perlman made a CD featuring both his del Gesu and his (then new) Strad, and the difference was rather remarkable.

October 4, 2018, 4:03 PM · More recently, Perlman bought Menuhin’s del Gesu to give the Soil a little rest. His Bach solo set is divided between those two. Some of the most famous examples from each maker. The Bach itself is More Galamian-ish than I like, but it allows for a fair comparison,

Another classic is Bein & Fushi’s The Miracle Makers, with Oliveira playing something like 15 fiddles from each side of the fence. I like to say that a good set of speakers will make the difference between violins obvious. A good set of electronics will make it obvious which one the violinist prefers.

October 4, 2018, 4:12 PM · Cynthia, et al.,

If you want to put violins in context I suggest reading: "The Violin - A Social History." While the book is a very difficult read (each section deals with an aspect of the violin and the history is NOT linear). The real bottom line is that the choice of an instrument is subjective despite the assertions of "The Experts."

A student violin should, in violinist terms, speak easily. That simply means that getting a good tone is fairly easy and that instrument is a bit forgiving if your fingertip is fractions of a MM off the exact point. Also, it should sound good to you, your ear, and it should give you some measure of joy.

Almost all affordable violins are copies based somewhat loosely on the violins of famous makers. But, the wood, varnish, tools used, and training of the maker are all different from the great makers.

This thread reminds me of the closing scene from "The Red Violin" where the collector and the violin expert discuss what they would do with the actual "Red Violin" - the collector wants it played, the expert wants to dismantle it and study all of the parts. Fortunately, it gets in the hands of a musician who has little knowledge of the history but loves the sound.

Edited: October 4, 2018, 4:35 PM · I agree with Lydia. Stradivari or Guarneri model instruments, especially the modern ones, with a few exceptions, are very different tonally from the actual thing. You have to look at each instrument individually. Typically, del Gesus are smaller compared to Stradivaris in terms of the dimensions. Although my teacher’s ‘Ludwig’ Stradivarius from 1724 is only 350mm; so there are exceptions.

Even though I’m a Heifetz junkie, call me crazy, I’ve always preferred the Stradivaris, Amatis, Vuillaumes or Guadagninis I’ve tried over del Gesus.

October 4, 2018, 6:32 PM · A sound post adjustment very well may suffice to remove the excessive brightness from your current violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings