Brassed steel E strings

October 2, 2018, 5:00 PM · Goldbrokat offers a brass plated steel E for a reasonable price. Anyone ever try this?
Their plain steel string goes false on me in about two weeks, as do most other E strings on the market.

And NO, I will NOT spend TWENTY FIVE CANADIAN PESOS ON A PLATINUM ELECTROPLATED E STRING. Thanks but no thanks, Pirastro.

Replies (11)

October 3, 2018, 12:56 AM · Try the Stainless Steel "Lisa" E string from Prim.

Goldbrokats don't last long, but they are cheap, so as a violinist who comes into my shop says, "Yes, they only last 2 weeks, but they are cheap, so buy a box and change them."

Edited: October 4, 2018, 8:33 PM · I've been using the same Goldbrokat plain steel E string for 6 months. It's fine. It has less tendency to whistle than the E string that came with the Evah Pirazzi set.

Canadian Pesos? Wow ... NAFTA 2.0 really is different.

October 4, 2018, 9:05 PM · The Goldbrokat E sounds great, but the fifths with the A start going sour in about two days. Unacceptable even for a one dollar string, IMO.
October 4, 2018, 9:27 PM · Methinks that it might not be the string.
October 5, 2018, 6:33 AM · It certainly is. It starts going black just as it starts going false, and the intonation is perfect when it's brand new.
Edited: October 5, 2018, 7:32 AM · The black color is a few nanometers of surface corrosion. Aren't you the guy with sulfuric acid coming out of your sweat glands?
Edited: October 5, 2018, 8:53 AM · My son uses the gold wound Goldbrokat E. He only practices 30-45 minutes per day, but these strings last about 8 months before they are going false or sound dead. Once I had it on my violin myself, and with 2 hours a day it also took me more than three months to kill it. I'm sure you practice much more than me, but hey, two days? Must have something to do with your metabolism...
Edited: October 5, 2018, 9:13 AM · The Warchal Amber E uses a special alloy, so perhaps resistant to corrosion and may be worth trying. If you've never used or seen the Amber E then are you in for a surprise when installing it! For me, it is the best E I've used.

If the prospective user of any string has metabolic issues perhaps causing corrosion then it's worth contacting the manufacturer first.

October 5, 2018, 9:15 AM · Don't blame Pirastro for something that started with Thomastik/Infeld-their platinum E strings should be different, but were "the first", and are still the priciest Es in the market. Single them out, not Pirastro's version of that string, which is relatively affordable and very good.

With your perspiration situation, Goldbrokat should still be the best solution for you (changing them often). Gold Labels, Hills, et. al. won't last much longer for you. Have not used the Goldbrokat brass version.

The Prim Lisa is recommended for durability, but I have never used it.

I don't follow your thrrads, but there are also chromesteel E strings out there that may last you longer than Goldbrokat.

The medium Goldbrokat is still one of the best values in string manufacturing history, in my view, despite being slightly more expensive nowadays.

October 6, 2018, 8:06 AM · Consider the Pirastro Obligato gold plated E string. About $15. Cost per week of playing can’t be beat. Mine has lasted over a year and sounds like the day it was installed.
October 6, 2018, 12:10 PM · I agree with James.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay