Does playing with poor conditioned instruments and bow affect technique?

Edited: October 1, 2018, 9:55 PM · This is my third post recently. I have been playing at school using the violins they have there (because I don’t want to risk damaging my own expensive instrument). I noticed after a week of playing at school using their poor quality and low maintenance instrments and bow (instruments were chipped in places and bows had little hair, could not be tightned much) that my spiccato became worse (coordination and ease of playing). My fluidity of bowing was also disrupted. Could this be because of playing at school using those instruments (and bows) or is it just because of something else?

Replies (5)

October 1, 2018, 11:08 PM · imho, it does affect our ability to learn the correct technique. i am a student, not a teacher or professional violinist but i have experienced it.
i'm waiting for other's opinion on this topic, too.
October 1, 2018, 11:45 PM · Certainly. You're using bad technique to try to cope with equipment problems.

Solution: A decent-quality, well-maintained violin and bow at school. Rent from a local violin shop if need be.

October 2, 2018, 7:36 AM · You are adjusting your technique (consciously or subconsciously) to get the kinds of sound you are used to getting out the violins. You are possibly compensating for bad geometry in the setup and poor sound quality in the violin and awkward balance and weight in the bow. If you have orchestra everyday and practice for about an hour at home you are really splitting you time evenly over the two instruments. Versatility isn't necessary a bad thing, professionals do this all the time, pick up a new bow, take a few moments with it, and adjust to how it needs to be played. Usually with high quality equipment though. If you can figure out the differences of the equipment and adapt at will, that could be a good thing, and help you figure out how to do some of the more advanced techniques better, bow wise anyway.
October 2, 2018, 11:57 AM · Yes, it’s a little like working on a bad or slow computer. Because if its poor response, over time you start giving up on doing certain things with it. Instead of opening possibilities, it shuts them down.

October 2, 2018, 4:48 PM · Ok thank you for your responses. I will try to rent a violin.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings