I am buying a Mezzo Forte CF Violin

October 1, 2018, 2:47 AM · The rainy season came late in its strongest, but came. Last days any non-conditioned room felt like a sauna and it was maybe my paranoia to think that my violin sounded like wet cardboard...
Even my wife became concerned about me taking the violin out of the house with that humidity and heat so we agreed on getting the Mezzo Forte. I just ordered it by their webpage. So far, very personal attention.
I'll be reporting on the transaction process and the violin when it arrives.
I think I have tuned my expectations about it, I know that i'll be losing many factors that only wooden violins can give, but I need it. I hope it can serve me well.

Replies (15)

October 1, 2018, 9:23 AM · If you are interested, i played 2 Mezzoforte violins, saturday.
If you want to contact me by email: marcobrancalion@gmail.com
October 1, 2018, 9:32 AM · With such extreme humidity, you should get an aluminium bridge and some nylon strings to go with it. And synthetic bow hair.
Edited: October 2, 2018, 10:30 PM · I've been considering buying a Glasser "carbon composite" violin. There are a lot of advantages that I can see, weather resistance being one. I think it would be an excellent platform for deploying a pickup when needed. You don't need a fine wooden violin for that, so why risk it. They would be great for outfitting school orchestras too. At a $480.00 street price you're not risking a lot of capital either. But I wouldn't be inclined to spend $2500.00 for a carbon fiber violin, which is the price I'm seeing for the Mezzoforte.
October 2, 2018, 3:29 PM · Can a Mezzoforte violin be played loudly?
October 2, 2018, 5:50 PM · Under the ear, surely..... :)
But the sound seems to disappear after 2 meters.......
Edited: October 2, 2018, 6:15 PM · Marco, is this your own experience or something you heard?

BTW, found a second hand one for €1,8k while the street price is €2,4k. Just in case someone's interested... Guess there should still be room for a bit of negotiation.

https://mobile.willhaben.at/kaufen-und-verkaufen/d/carbon-violine-geige-mezzo-forte-270215984/?sid=1538521754547

October 2, 2018, 9:14 PM · Reviews are circumstancial. I am sure that in a resort in the jungle, at 95% humidity and 40ºC, a carbon fiber violin outperforms a Strad.

I have been talking myself out of this idea of getting a CF violin because I really love the wooden ones. Even the chinese ebay ones are more attractive to me than any carbon fiber. But I have to adapt to where I am and what I use it for, and get the right tool for it. It is now clear that either I get a carbon fiber violin, or I give up the idea of playing outside half of the year...

About choosing a Mezzo Forte, or a Glasser, or a Luis & Clark, or a Elixir or any other maker... I think that part goes to personal consideration of other points. For each there seems to be reviews of good and bad, but most frequently "not bad... useful".
The reason for this thread is precisely to have a review that starts with the initial prejudice/expectation and see what I get.

Edited: October 2, 2018, 10:01 PM · Wood vs Mezzo Forte vs Luis and Clark
October 2, 2018, 10:47 PM · Nuuska: look at my first reply.
October 3, 2018, 11:55 AM · I bought a Mezzo Forte violin and it was riddled with wolf and false notes, even in lower positions. I really had to jump through hoops to return it. In the end I was able to return it.
October 3, 2018, 4:21 PM · Marco wrote, "the sound seems to disappear after 2 meters......."

My neighbours definitely would love such violin, and so would I. Why my violin's sound must pierce through the walls and bleed people's ears?

As I understand it, that someone practicing on an instrument isn't that appealing to others' ears, even if she/he is a professional.

95% of violin students play for themselves and their own pleasures, perhaps to the dismay of others (pun intended). So unless Carlos has an urging need to play to some audience, I see no problem.

Of course a better violin is better, but Carlo's situation does not seem to allow other options.

P/S Since there is such variety in experience among users, I guess the quality of the same CF violin brand does vary?

October 3, 2018, 4:58 PM · Marco - sure... Stupid me.
Carlos, I think I can understand your situation very well. I've seen instruments and other wooden artefacts which literally rotted inside their cases within half a year and took severe damage during monsoon season. So I guess I might try the same if I was in your pair of shoes!
October 3, 2018, 9:01 PM · Of course there are always going to be reviews and opinions going in all directions. One only needs to search for opinions about strings in this forum to leave more confused than when started.

We will see what shortcomings it has the violin when I get it (because it will have them). And also, which strong points. And I will see what the mix of the weak and strong points can give me for use in my circumstances. I'll share my finds in that moment.

October 7, 2018, 9:44 PM · Carlos, have you determined which strings and rosin will hold up best in high humidity?
October 7, 2018, 11:12 PM · Bernardel has always given me the balance of grip and smoothness that I like. I have not found any flaw. Dunno if it is the best, but works as it is expected.
I had to give up my beloved Eudoxas and Passione. The humidity transition to A/C rooms made them impractical. Had to retune in the middle of practice several times.
Several synthetics have let me down from what I thought was humidity problems (corroded aluminium in A strings, never ending stretching...) but then I have read other reviewers with the same issues, so they are shortcomings of those strings, not just the humidity problem. That's why excluding gut, I don't choose strings for the weather conditions, but to get from my instrument the voice I have in my head... Like anyone else...

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings