Violin Case for 2k violin

October 1, 2018, 2:01 AM · I need help in looking for a protective case for a 2k violin. I've looked at a lot of reviews and discussions about choosing a violin case but am still not sure on what to buy. I value my violin very much (its akin to my life) but not sure whether it's worth it to buy an expensive case (as it's only 2k and I don't have that much money) and I'm usually really careful with it (it has only gotten one fall but it was in its case).
But the thing is I move around with it a lot (walking, biking, bumpy car rides, carrying it through rainy days) and it's around crowded areas a lot (especially dangerous with my baby brother around). And I'm very paranoid about the condition of my violin, like how my violin feels VERY warm after a ride in a stuffy car.
I want it to have a suspension interior and be oblong-shaped at least. I'm kind of leaning toward hardcovers since it can be waterproof and they look nice ( I also don't like messing around with violin case covers but I will if I have too). I'm really contemplating on whether to buy a Gewa Air 2.1 or not (but it's worth about a fourth of my violin, like is that a good violin-to-case value ratio...?). I am willing to splurge around $400 on it (my heart's bleeding but my violin is more important....T^T). So yeah....I'm in deep need of help...Really grateful for any tips or suggestions at all!

P.S. The case I'm using right now is LITERALLY made of cardboard, the back extremely thin and not to mention broken. The bridge leaves marks on the top and there is barely any cushioning. I'm not sure how my violin survived in a $70 case after being jostled around so much...I.AM.PANICKING.

Replies (18)

October 1, 2018, 2:21 AM · "The case I'm using right now is LITERALLY made of cardboard"

Don't stand your beer on it.

Edited: October 1, 2018, 2:39 AM · Good news, there's no need to panic. Almost every case in the market will give protection to the "regular" accidents you describe. Falling from a table, getting kicked in a crowded place, roll the stairs down, etc...

Your concern about the violin getting warm: Look for roomy cases. Big. The air inside serves as isolator from heat outside. The more minimalistic and contoured the case is, the least isolated it is. Many times the advantage of the wooden cases it's that they are big, so the temperature change is slower. If your case holds a lot of air, it gets warmer or colder more slowly.
Another very important thing if you are concerned about the heat: Buy it white, or at least not dark. The difference between a white and a black closed box under the sun is huge.
All those factors into account make your choice of the GEWA Air 2.1 a good one (white). Actually I have similar needs (bike, crowded places) and I am looking into a Gewa Air Ergo. But the Air 2.1 it's fine.
If you look at that style I have to tell you that here (In Vietnam), I see the string players using mostly Chinese cases, namely the Yinfente ones you can find in ebay for 100-150USD. There is an oblong model that might fit your needs. And those players are from the national orchestra and report years of happy use of those cases.

And final thought... Babies become toddlers... Choose a case with a combination lock, and use the lock...

October 1, 2018, 3:36 AM · Get Bobelock
Edited: October 1, 2018, 3:58 AM · There’s no need for such an expensive case unless you travel frequently. If you’re like me and your violin only leaves the house to go to lessons, then I think it would be a waste of money.
October 1, 2018, 8:42 AM · I would vote a Bobelock plywood suspension case as well.
Edited: October 1, 2018, 8:59 AM · I have 2 Bobelock cases (one for my violin and another for my viola) and I like them. They're well made, rather heavy (the viola case is a real tank), and they seem quite protective. However, my daughter's violin case is the Embassy Courier, and I believe that case is even a little better even though it's less expensive. It's very sturdily made and protective, but the layout inside is better, and the interior fittings seem to be of higher quality. It has a leather tie for the neck instead of Velcro, for example. The pebble-grain exterior cover is durable and smart-looking too. If I were buying a case now, even for my violin that's probably worth around $12k, I'd get the Embassy Courier case.

https://www.sharmusic.com/Cases-Bags/Violin/Embassy-0153-Courier-Violin-Case-Black.axd

October 1, 2018, 10:08 AM · I had the Bobelock thought as well.
October 1, 2018, 2:12 PM · Another vote for a Bobelock plywood suspension case. They are extremely nice for the price instrument protection is clearly a large part of their design.

Not to knock Paul's good experience with the Embassy Courier, but I had a student who purchased one of the cases (shaped version) and it disintegrated within 6 months. The hinges failed and the interior separators came loose. This was a very careful student. Perhaps the design of the oblong version is more sturdy.

October 2, 2018, 3:38 PM · Another example of a relatively inexpensive case, but one that is robust and protective, are those made by Hiscox in the UK. I have used one for about 7 years now. I've taken my violin around festivals and in busy pubs, and felt utterly confident that it will be protected. It still looks like new despite heavy use.

My only issue with it is that I cannot fit my shoulder rest inside it, which I find frustrating.

October 3, 2018, 2:16 AM · The best case i own, I got for about $130. It's a Hill style Tonarelli. I spent about $300 on a GEWA Venetian, and it's the worst case I currently own.

Personally, I feel that fiberglass cases are poorly designed. Very little storage space. The GEWA Air has just a bag to store your stuff in. Kinda a poor idea, don't you think?

October 3, 2018, 2:56 AM · It is true that fiberglass cases can be frustrating to put the shoulder rest. But the bag to put the stuff, I find it more useful than the drawer-style compartment because I have to put the case away from the playing area and can bring the bag to the class or chair I am playing.
I use a Bam contoured and the bag is more than big enough for all I carry: Rosin, clippers, hotel mute, concert mute, peg dope, tuning fork, 2 pencils and a spare of reading glasses. Don't know what else to put, frankly...
October 8, 2018, 7:43 AM · One more vote for Bobelock. I have used their cases for years for my violin and my viola.
October 9, 2018, 11:01 PM · If you have a luthier you trust, see what they carry. You may be able to get a very good no-name plywood suspension case for at least $100 less than the comparable Bobelock.
October 9, 2018, 11:54 PM · The thing is that I bike around with my violin a lot, so I want to get a good solid case that can survive (hopefully) minor crashes. There were some cases where my brakes stopped working/got jammed so I had to jump off my bike, thankfully I wasn't carrying my violin...
October 10, 2018, 1:21 AM · If you're going to be in bike crashes, I'd go for a BAM case. You should be able to get one for $400 (give or take a little).
Edited: October 10, 2018, 12:19 PM · Jill, I've heard Bam cases are quite good, but I've never owned one. I have two Concord cases (a single for my violin and a double for violin and viola) and I really like them. The double case was $385 and the single case I got as a discount from my luthier at $325. The single case I have is the middle line one, so not the basic, but not the super fancy one. It has protected my violin really well, despite bumps and bangs from carrying it around.
October 10, 2018, 10:20 PM · Invest in Shimano Ultegra brakes for your bike. Forget the violin case.
October 10, 2018, 11:09 PM · Jill, I live in Vietnam. Everybody goes around in motorbike. All players in all orchestras, and all students. I see all makes and origins in the violin cases and all have endured and survived falls from the bike.
What differences the good and the bad case is not if they endure a simple fall like that. All do. Is how long the latches last, the metal parts, the zippers, the handle... The small details, which are important, but not suddenly life threatening to the violin. Just pick up a case that is comfortable for you in backpack position (as you ride a bike), and also financially comfortable. This brand or other is really not so important, as long as it's one that has been in the market long. And that includes some chinese ones.
Remember that the one that takes care of your violin is not the case. It's you. The case is a tool to help you and does not exclude that you check the straps rutinely, look for humidity issues or glue weirdness... And you have to do that with all cases, including the most expensives.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay