Warchal Timbre

September 30, 2018, 5:57 PM · Hi

Any updates re Warchal Timbre? I’m specifically interested to know how they compare with Evah Pirazzi Gold?

Thanks in advance.

Gurdip

Replies (24)

September 30, 2018, 10:25 PM · They project well. There are a lot of overtones, and the E is amazing. I found the silver G can get a bit strident, but Mr. Warchal contacted me and told me they are working on a warmer G options.

I think they are good for cutting through and being heard. The craftsmanship is top notch.

Edited: October 4, 2018, 5:30 PM · In the link below, at the bottom of the page, Warchal gives a useful tip on breaking in new strings very quickly. Admittedly, the strings they are talking about are their latest product, Timbre, but I would imagine the method they describe could be applied to other synthetic strings of a similar nature.

I have applied the Warchal breaking-in method successfully to my new Amber set. The tonal and projection improvement was noticeable and quick.

https://shop.warchal.com/products/timbre

October 1, 2018, 3:42 PM · I'd buy them again if I need to perform in recital. They project really well while have lots of tone colours. My violin is a dark sounding with little projection so this set works amazingly well.

I hope Warchal can come up with an option that let customers buy Timbre online.

October 4, 2018, 3:21 PM · An update: I just received the "warmer G" prototype string in the mail from Mr. Warchal. I will test thoroughly and post my findings in a separate thread.

Over time, I like this set more and more. This might be my string set.

October 5, 2018, 7:19 PM · After thorough testing of the warmer G that Mr. Warchal sent me, I can say the difference is subtle as he predicted. But the new string really has power (while singing!) in the upper registers. The string balance is even across strings, and this is definitely a powerful set of strings.
October 5, 2018, 7:42 PM · I am really looking forward to trying out the new spiral-steel A and the warmer G. (I got mine from the Warchal online special when there wasn't a choice of A, or I would have gotten the steel one, I think.)
October 5, 2018, 7:43 PM · How do we get to try the warmer G?
October 6, 2018, 5:42 AM · Yea, I'd like a trial for the warmer G as well.
Edited: October 6, 2018, 7:49 PM · Also what's the promo code for v.com members (it says there is one in the ad)?
Edited: October 10, 2018, 12:06 PM · Mine arrived in yesterday's mail and I installed them first thing this morning. I've replaced a set of EP Golds.

So far the Timbres seem marvelous, glorious overtones (I think) that I could hear much more if my ears were 50-60 years younger. But I'm still using my PI Pt E string (it's a perfect match to the Timbre set, which it was not to a set of Tricolores) - anyone have advice about that?

October 10, 2018, 12:13 PM · I'm waiting for mine in the mail! I got the synthetic A, but now I kind of wish I got the steel A. My Russian A was wonderful, so I expect the Timbre steel A to be amazing too.

I will also be replacing a set of Evah Golds. I liked the warmth of the A and D, but the gold G is super fuzzy on my already warm violin, and the E whistled like a train. I couldn't stand it anymore so I switched it out with an Amber Forte E. Much better! I also noticed the Evahs go flat and I have to tune every time I play, whereas the Warchals I mention below were super solid and never went out of tune. I probably tuned a dozen or so times in the 8 months I used them!

If I don't like the Timbres, I'll definitely be going back to my favorite set so far, Brilliant Vintage G and D, Russian A and Amber E.

October 10, 2018, 12:53 PM · @Kristen: I'm using a Brilliant G&D/Russian A/Amber E combo on my secondary violin, and I like it pretty well, myself. I can't wait to try the Timbres on my primary violin and see how they compare with PI's.
October 10, 2018, 1:49 PM · Jen, how did the PI's do? My teacher first recommended either getting Obligatos or the Pi series when I switched from Dominants, but the Infelds were way too expensive so I've never gotten to try them.
October 10, 2018, 2:50 PM · Are you folks getting these strings direct from Warchal? If so, how would someone go about that?
October 10, 2018, 2:53 PM · Yes. Go to warchal.com
October 10, 2018, 3:29 PM · I've really enjoyed the PI's on my violin. They're higher tension than Dominants; one of my regular stand partners has a violin that seems to prefer low tension strings, and she didn't have a good experience with them. Personally, I do like the platinum E, but I often skip it in favor of an Amber E or a less expensive Evah Pirazzi platinum E.

I've also had good experiences with Obligatos, although they don't last very long for me. From a cost-vs-time standpoint, I actually spend less money on PI's that I would on Obligatos. Compared to Dominants, I either break even or come out slightly ahead on PI ADG + Amber or EP E - I never could go more than a month or two on a set of Dominants before I have to start replacing strings. Usually it's the A that goes first.

Edited: October 10, 2018, 4:05 PM · So at least 3 people are using Warchal combo: Brilliant vintage G D + Steel A + Amber E. Maybe I should give it a try when my Timbre set wears out
October 11, 2018, 9:03 AM · I used my Obligatos for about a year before changing them (yikes!!), and I didn't notice how dead they actually were until I put on my Warchal setup. What a difference!

Daniel, just be aware that the Brilliant Vintage are specially made for older instruments. The webpage on the Warchal site says what they consider vintage.

I've also heard good things about the Avantgarde Steel A, but I had gone with the Russian instead. Anyone with the Avantgarde have any input?

October 11, 2018, 9:41 AM · I use the Avantgarde A. It has much of the warmth of a synthetic; most people won't be able to tell it's steel.
Edited: October 14, 2018, 7:18 PM · Timbres have been on for 5 days now - still stretching, but I don't play much but I've been tuning them up several times daily and running through a but of playing.

I find the sound to be very sweet and clean sounding, the strings to be very responsive. Very nice on chords. Not as powerful to my ears as the Evah Golds they replaced. (Of course I can always turn up my hearing aids to give me more sound - and more highs - but that will not help in ensemble playing.)

I may remove my PI-Pt-E and try either the Timbre, a Brilliant or a Warchal Amber-E that should arrive in tomorrow's mail - unless one of you advises me to keep the PI on.

October 15, 2018, 10:44 PM · I just put on my Timbres! I'll be keeping the brand new Amber Forte E as a spare, but I'm pleasantly surprised that the Timbre E has the same coil as the Amber. I think it makes a heck of a difference! I already can hear the lush overtones just from plucking (it's 11:42EST so my dad would not appreciate me playing ff right now... That'll have to wait...) but I already like them better than the EP Golds.

People rave about Evahs, but honestly I've never liked them. The greens sound terrible on my instrument and the Golds were warm, but that gold G was too warm. Too fuzzy and not enough projection/response!

I also love the wrappings on the Timbres. They stand out so nice against my violin's dark red/brown varnish. Aesthetics are important :D

October 16, 2018, 9:35 AM · Kristen, on your advice I replaced my PI-Pt-E with the Timbre E this morning. Quite a string, very powerful.

One thing I have noticed about the Timbre strings on this violin:
Normally, on my violins or viola, when I install new strings, try a different bow, change rosin or sometimes just to check tuning, I will also play the instrument in cello position to get some idea of how it sounds away from my ears. Usually it sounds fine, with good tone and balance and similar to how it sounds under the ear. The TIMBREs however sound much richer and louder in cello position than under my ear. I'm not sure what that means, but there is obviously more sound 2 feet from my ears in the direction of the scroll than just inches from my ear at the tailpiece end.

October 16, 2018, 4:14 PM · Huh, I should try that! I never thought about doing it in cello position, but that makes a lot of sense.

I broke them in this morning, and they weren't kidding around when they said 12 minutes! I did their advised break in motion (it's on the website, kind of interesting method. You're supposed to play ff with the bow not straight, but flat hair, with the tip more towards you and then away from you. It felt so wrong to do!) actually worked! I definitely heard a difference in projection and tone. Warchal is probably my favorite brand. :)

Edited: October 16, 2018, 5:07 PM · I've had the Timbres on for about 5 days so I can offer some first impressions.

The 12-minute break-in is true in the sense that they sound nice right away, they open up almost immediately. But tuning stability is a question -- I'm still retuning a lot 5 days later. We have had very wet weather so it might be the humidity more than the strings.

Sound -- Warchal calls it a balance between rich overtones of gut and projection of composite. On my fiddle it's a lot more of the latter -- these strings are loud and powerful and brassy, like Evahs or Vision Solos. I'm not sure I will love them for what I do, which is a lot of chamber music, but they might be terrific for soloists.

These are not easy-playing strings, they need good bow technique, but the G and D are outstanding -- bright, rich, nice and clear.

The E is indistinguishable from the Amber E which I have used for a couple of years now. It's got the helical twist in the same place and it's a warm yet powerful E, and the twist makes it a non-whistling E which is very nice if you're playing chords.

Haven't made up my mind about the A. I play the Warchal Avantgarde A which uses the same technology as the Amber E. It's a little brighter and thinner than a composite A but it certainly sounds nothing like any other steel A you'll ever hear -- it's a gorgeous sound but clear, very fast responding and -- as you would expect from steel -- very easy to play in high positions.

The Timbre A is powerful and rich, not as sweet sounding or responsive as the steel Avantgarde. Warchal has said they are going to release a steel Timbre A so that might be the right one for me.

As I said these are just first impressions. I will be interested in seeing how these strings are doing after 3 months, 6 months. For me durability is really important. Premium price strings are worth it if they are exceptionally durable.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings