Report on Musing bows, Cremona Mondomusica 2018

September 29, 2018, 7:49 PM · I promised to test again some Musing bows. I did it today.

Bernd Müsing assisted me in my somewhat long test of handling and sound of several Musing bows. In particular several C4, C3 and one C2 bow. We compared, with fast substitutions, with a middleway Arcus A, and an exceptional octagonal S9.
I played myself, but i also listened from a distance Bernd playing the same bows.

I have to say that the Musing bows are very similar to "middle" rated Arcus bows. The more apparent difference is only in how the sound is producted. It's a bit more mid-oriented, with the extremes of the range a bit attenuated (so, a bit less highs and a bit less lows, but it's a subtle difference). Handling and resilience seems to be very alike.

Bernd made me notice that also in the Musing line there are difference in sound also in same-rated bows (C4, C3, etc). I checked that it's true: for example, one was mildly more airy than its twin.

It seems that the entire production process is very different from the Arcus bows. The process uses the same materials but it's "faster", so cheaper. And the sonic characteristic are very good, but not exceptional like the highest rated Arcus bows. One for all: the S9 i played today (8000 euros) is something that is difficult to ignore and forget :)

I'd say that the Musing bows have anyway a place as a modern and extremely usable (as handling and usage) carbon bow.

Shortly after, i found out in the exposition a german booth with maybe all the line of Codabows bows. I tested them, with another violin obviusly.
I didn't see all this "magic" always associated with the GX. The Marquise was a bit better as sound and volume that can be pulled out. The sound i liked more was from the Luma, which didn't reach much volume, though.
And i put down the Joule almost immediately.

In my opinion, even the Musing bows are in a superior league.

Greetings.

Replies (0)

No responses yet. Why not be the first to reply?

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings
Warchal Strings