Viola stuff

September 29, 2018, 4:12 AM · Hello all.
This has probably been asked many times, but what repetoire is there for violin and viola together? I know of the 2 Mozart duos, the Handel-Halvorsen Pasacaglia and Sibelius. Are there any more?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Replies (11)

September 29, 2018, 4:26 AM · I seem to remember having some atonal fun ("it's supposed to sound like that") with the Duo for Violin and Viola by Nikos Skalkottas
September 29, 2018, 5:26 AM · Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Viola with orchestra also works wonderfully with piano.
September 29, 2018, 9:20 AM · My teacher did a 2-vln recital and they played Spohr--there are Spohr duos for vln/vla as well. Some Rolla duos aren't that bad.
September 29, 2018, 9:46 AM · 3 Madrigals by Martinu.
Edited: September 29, 2018, 9:50 AM · Hi Jake! You wrote, "This has probably been asked many times." Yes, it has, but that's okay. Always a fun discussion. However if you want to research prior threads, there is a nifty "Google Custom Search" field at the top of the page. Have at it!

Beethoven wrote three duos for bassoon and clarinet. They have been transposed for cello and violin. (Actually it's not certain that Beethoven wrote them; I have my doubts. But they're nice.) I wonder if the cello part would work just as well on viola. Of course it will help if your violist reads bass clef.

September 29, 2018, 10:00 AM · The violist would be me and I can
Edited: September 29, 2018, 2:57 PM · There is a set of 6 such duos by Haydn. Disadvantage: The violin is very dominant and the viola part is less attractive. For an example see link below. I am not sure how many of them are on IMSLP; you'd have to find them by clicking on all "string duos". https://imslp.org/wiki/String_Duo_in_A_major%2C_Hob.VI:2_(Haydn%2C_Joseph)

BTW about Spohr: There is one violin/viola duo by him. It is very good. But be warned, like all of Spohr's 2-violin-duos it is full of double stops with long passages in full harmony.

Also there must be four duos by Michael Haydn (Mozart composed his two duos as a favor to Michael who was sick and had a dead line for a set of 6 duos, 2 of which he hadn't composed yet). Don't expect them to be as great as Mozart's though.

September 29, 2018, 4:50 PM · There is also a Sarabande with variations by Halvorsen (The theme is Händel).
And a set of 6 duos by an unknown composer from the 18th century found in a collection of manuscripts donated to the University library of Lund, Sweden, I have found fun to play. The violin and viola are equal partners and in several movements the viola has the most interesting part. You can find the sheets here: https://www.lysator.liu.se/~tuben/scores/anwsduww/
There are loads of duos by Rolla and by Stamitz - they should be on IMSLP.
There is a Mozart duo for basoon and cello that has been transcribed for violin and viola, and even the 12 short horn duos by Mozart are available for violin/viola.
October 9, 2018, 11:29 PM · This is a great thread. One of the violinists in my string quartet likes to play duets with me when the rest of our group is unavailable. We found Mazas and Mozart (one of these is "easy duets" and the other is "little duets"). Both are quite easy--I think I'd like more of a challenge.
October 10, 2018, 4:57 AM · I composed a vioin & viola duo in 2008 called "Visconti Variations". It's got four shortish movements totalling about 10 minutes. I play viola so really wrote it for myself, and I think the violin part may be a fraction easier than the viola part. You can download the score and parts and listen to it here; www.nigelkeay.com/violin-viola.htm.
October 10, 2018, 6:37 AM · Rebecca Clarke - Dumka

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Warchal Strings