Beethoven Violin Concerto Cadenzas

September 28, 2018, 12:17 PM · In your opinion, who has written the best cadenzas for this concerto?

Replies (20)

September 28, 2018, 12:37 PM · Kreisler
September 28, 2018, 5:14 PM · Kopatchinskaja.
Edited: September 28, 2018, 5:15 PM · I vote for Kreisler too. Most cadenza overstay their welcome. This one does not.
September 28, 2018, 5:40 PM · Kreisler by a mile
Edited: September 28, 2018, 6:11 PM · Thanks for the feedback. Anyone heard Ysaye’s or Saint-Saens cadenzas? I’m curious as to what they composed.
September 28, 2018, 7:05 PM · Kreisler!
September 28, 2018, 7:10 PM · I agree with Kreisler too but Busoni has written a very interesting one with Tympani accompaniment. Szigeti used this cadenza in his last recording of the concerto.
September 28, 2018, 9:14 PM · This cadenza, including the timpani, is originally Beethoven's own that he wrote for the piano-version of the concerto. Busoni reworked if for the violin. Many people find it weird.
Edited: September 29, 2018, 8:59 AM · Kreisler (and he wrote it when he was 19). Among other things, in the 1st movement, the passage in which the 2 main themes are played together is a work of pure genius, since they each are made up of alternating 5-beat phrases, and Kreisler put them together like a jig-saw puzzle.
September 29, 2018, 9:31 AM · I like the cadenza Kremer does with piano and timpani. It's his second recording with Harnoncourt and the COE. When I listen to the Beethoven concerto I go to this recording first.
Edited: September 29, 2018, 9:56 AM · Kreisler was a bright guy. No question about it.

Not intending to hijack, but has anyone transcribed Josh Bell's cadenza for the first movement of Mozart 3? I just love that cadenza ... there is a suspended arpeggio in it that really just gives me chills. (I theorize it was inspired by the suspended arpeggio in the Vivaldi A Minor concerto -- Vivaldi was a bright guy too).

September 29, 2018, 10:04 AM · Another vote for Kreisler. If you haven't already, check out this performance by Augustin Hadelich of the 1st movement cadenza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFnwrXDkwp0

September 29, 2018, 3:48 PM · Joachim ftw. :)
September 29, 2018, 4:06 PM · My favorite performer and performance(s)? - (just in case anyone's interested)….. Zino Francescatti, both the 1950 (Ormandy, Philadelphia), and the YouTube video (when Francescatti was about 70) with Fournet. The cadenza of that 1st movement is unforgettable and timeless.
September 29, 2018, 4:57 PM · The clarity of execution in that Augustin Hadelich performance that Jim linked above is breathtaking.
September 29, 2018, 5:26 PM · Augustin gets better and better. It’s amazing.
September 30, 2018, 8:22 AM · There are so many wonderful performances of this. Yes, indeed, the Augustin performance is great. But, again, listen to the Francescatti - the slight rubatos and accents and technical challenges do not get in the way of the almost "vocal" flow of the melodic line. It is simply one seamless "strand" of music. But, yes, Augustin's performance is wonderful. Thank you Jim for putting it up.
September 30, 2018, 8:52 AM · Joseph Suk plays a superb cadenza in the first movement: I still can't find the author. He plays a shorter, less discursive version in his old Supraphon recording, and a longer one in his later disc with Sir Adrian Boult (I think).
September 30, 2018, 9:26 AM · I believe the cadenza Suk plays is by Vasa Prihoda.
There's a comprehensive list of cadenzas here
http://www.martin-wulfhorst.com/Beethoven/beethoven.htm
I don't know how complete it is but it seems there's certainly plenty of choice. Personally I like Kreisler as well as Prihoda, but I've not heard many others.
Edited: September 30, 2018, 3:00 PM · The Heifetz cadenza for the 1st movement is my favorite (I've played it) and the Joachim cadenzas for the 2nd and 3rd movements are excellent as well. Kreisler's cadenzas are probably the most popular for the Beethoven in the last 50-60 years and deservedly so. They're also top class.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Yamaha Violin Finder
Yamaha Violin Finder

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Corilon Violins
Corilon Violins

Tomplay
Tomplay